Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boohoo

Options
  • 08-09-2015 2:20pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure that there was a thread on here ages ago about the same thing but I can't find it right now so I hope that mods don't kind me raising the same Q. Feel free to merge the threads.

A question to those who buy from Boohoo. Where are you getting all the nice stuff because, minus one skirt, I've had to return anything I've bought from there? I watch the catwalks, read the reviews, and they're still disappointing when they arrive. It's usually a quality problem but my latest jacket also hangs badly and just looks wrong. Not a single review spoke against it and I was really looking forward to getting it. I'd given up on Boohoo for ages but had heard that their quality had improved so gave them another chance only to be let down again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

With me I think I usually get what I pay for, the quality is often not fantastic but usually I haven't paid much for the item anyway so I don't mind. However I got some fab maxi dresses and skirts over the summer which were really cheap and were excellent quality too. All down to luck really !!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Depends what you're buying, really. I rarely have to send things back. But for the price, getting a handful of wears out of each item is great value for money (ignoring the environmental impact).

Quality varies with each item too; one dress could be perfect and an identical dress could be misshaped. So there's some luck of the draw. I've also had to send items back when it's clear someone tried it on and was too big for it, so it's all stretched out of shape when it got to me.

What kind of items are you buying? I mostly buy dresses, usually in a stiff-ish fabric, usually skater style or similar. I find things with thin cottony material are usually rubbish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I've bought 2 jackets, a dress and 2 skirts. The skirts I bought were the same style because when I got the first it was so perfect that I got it in a different colour! The rest were awful though and it's so disappointing because I hear others rave about the great stuff they get from Boohoo. The stuff I buy isn't the cheapest in terms of their prices either.

I find price doesn't tend to correlate with quality for Boohoo.

I bought a bunch of dresses and tops recently that all worked out perfectly: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96930031#post96930031

But I don't trust the reviews overly either. I look for mentions of the item being too short, running big/small or being see-through, but like you, I've bought items that reviewers RAVED about and found them to be awful in reality. Try trusting your instinct more than reviews for boohoo :).

Plus, with free returns, it's so easy to send back whatever doesn't work!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It think Boohoo is on a par with Penneys - it's cheap, it's cheerful, you find yourself throwing things into your basket cos they are cheap. You don't really expect the quality to be great but you do have the few odd gems which you get ages out of and a complete bargain.

I have found the sizing to be hit or miss. The style of many of the clothes would be geared towards the teenagers, quite skimpy. But I have got some really nice things, in particular a petite maxi dress which doesn't drag half a foot behind me, a sleeved playsuit and a full length black dress with a thigh high split.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Dreannz

I order off boohoo. I've never sent anything back , but that being said I still have some stuff there with tags still on. I usually shop when there's a discount code and I use my student discount so it works out quiet cheap. I shopped for my summer holidays when dresses and play suits were 20% off and got some lovely pieces for holidays. It worked out as cheap as penneys and I didn't have to leave the house.
    I also have gotten some nice dresses there people have admired when out. I'm a size 6 so I order an 8 and I never have a problem with sizing then if it's a bit big I'll just pin it in.
    I recently took the plunge and bought two pair on trousers, one in a 6 one in a 8 to try. They were lovely the length was too long but I'm only 5"3 but the size 6 fit perfectly and when worn with boots are lovely. I kept the size 8 as I'm hoping and need to put on weight, as I've been sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 loulou87

I ordered off Boohoo twice.
    I got a pair of shoes, that looked so cheap and terrible, I sent them back.

I also bought a pair pf PU leather trousers that were €49.. again horrendous.

The clothes are so tatty.
    They have to mark them so much I suppose as they have a lot of advertising, PR and media costs to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Jamaican Me Crazy

In general I like boohoo but I have had a bit of a mixed bag lately. I was disappointed with about 4 tops and a skirt I got. Tops were a very bad fit and the skirt just looked odd on me and the fabric was rubbish.

Having said that, I have gotten lots of lovely pieces off them that I am delighted with but I think it can be the luck of the draw. Shopping online is always that little bit risky because you miss out on seeing / feeling the fabrics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I genuinely think ordering off Boohoo is like the online shopping version of being Catfished. I've given it plenty of shots, the first time I ordered off them was for a wedding circa 2010 and most recently again in April and I've never kept anything I've ordered.

Its cheap fabric, more often than not see through and the sizes are absolutely all over the place. I once got delivered something and genuinely thought they had mistakenly sent the wrong item it was so far removed from the stock photo on the website.

I have a friend who is a size 6-8 and she swears by it, but she has such a petite little figure that not much looks bad on her. I'm a size 10-12 (probably closer to a 12), with a small frame, wide hips and 34F bust and I find their stuff just doesn't flatter me. I think maybe their clothes are more suited to a more petite build. Not that I'm implying you aren't petite OP!! Just stating why I don't feel their stuff works for me :o Obviously you can get lucky and get the odd few nice bits but I've not been lucky so far and doubt I'd order off them again. Way too inconsistent.

I feel like if you find what works for you, boohoo is great. I'm a size 12, medium frame, 32F/FF and I have no trouble getting things that fit perfectly. I order a 14 when it looks like it will be small across the chest, and I don't order anything in a jersey or stretchy material. I've found sizing to be really consistent in general. But maybe it's just the style of dress I order. It's always some variation of a skater dress, and I know boohoo well enough now to know by A) the model* and B) the look of the dress what it will be like.

*seriously, there's a brunette model who they put in the worst clothes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

I order from them quite frequently and only 2/3 items have I not been happy with.
    An off the shoulder top that is just too small for my boobs, a over sized jumper that is way way over sized and it's S/M! Also another peplum top that is just very short, very odd piece.

Can't of anything else that didn't work out.

I have a lot of their loose fitted string tops, several casual dresses, loads of various blazers/light jackets all of which I love. I have a few of their bodysuits, great for skirts or high waisted jeans. Few pairs of shoes, all of which I got on love. I've a fantastic pair of chunky thick boots that I live in and I'm asked daily where I bought them.

I think the real problem with boohoo (well for me) is not being realistic about how the clothes will look in real life. I have two playsuits hanging up right now with tags still on that looked amazing on the model, completely different on me. They still look nice just not what they looked like online.

But I've gotten some fantastic deals from them with discounts and their sale section. I bought a cape in April for less than a tenner that will get loads of use over the next few months. And I bought a gorgeous red plunge top and loved and wore it so much I bought it in black.

Vast majority of what I've bought I love and nothing has fallen apart on me and lots of it would be worn and washed many times over. I don't find misguided quality to be any better and the prices are ten times than that of boohoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

I order from them quite frequently and only 2/3 items have I not been happy with.
    An off the shoulder top that is just too small for my boobs, a over sized jumper that is way way over sized and it's S/M! Also another peplum top that is just very short, very odd piece.

Can't of anything else that didn't work out.

I have a lot of their loose fitted string tops, several casual dresses, loads of various blazers/light jackets all of which I love. I have a few of their bodysuits, great for skirts or high waisted jeans. Few pairs of shoes, all of which I got on love. I've a fantastic pair of chunky thick boots that I live in and I'm asked daily where I bought them.

I think the real problem with boohoo (well for me) is not being realistic about how the clothes will look in real life. I have two playsuits hanging up right now with tags still on that looked amazing on the model, completely different on me. They still look nice just not what they looked like online.

But I've gotten some fantastic deals from them with discounts and their sale section. I bought a cape in April for less than a tenner that will get loads of use over the next few months. And I bought a gorgeous red plunge top and loved and wore it so much I bought it in black.

Vast majority of what I've bought I love and nothing has fallen apart on me and lots of it would be worn and washed many times over. I don't find misguided quality to be any better and the prices are ten times than that of boohoo.

Oh and I'm a size 10-12 (more on the 12 size) a 34F and I generally buy in a size 10 I find their sizing quite large.

Advertisement