Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Usage

Options
  • 08-09-2015 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

I know this is a very broad and open question but I'm trying to get a sense of how far and wide PHP is used in Ireland, among students in college too small amd medium companies.

At an even longer shot I'm trying to see who uses frameworks and who doesn't and why they don't use them.

Does anyone know where I might get some stats or an idea around PHP usage in Ireland?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

well you could get your own stats by looking at websites of Irish companies

Contact the cro.ie

feckit here is a list of a thousand companies based in ireland

http://www.top1000.ie/

or just look for a list of Irish comapnies

look at there website figure out if it is php or not

you could probably automate it by looking for the generator meta tag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

that proves nothing. Their could be 1 design company in Ireland using php and it could have designed the web site for every other company.

Even then the design company could be using some editor/framework and not really developing in php.

A more accurate count would be of all companies that are involved in some form of software development i.e. design companies, multi nationals, startups, software consultancies, banks, insurance companies etc and then determine if they use php.

Of course they may use php for a simple customer facing website which is developed by a team of 1 while their internal application is running on a mainframe running cobol maintained by a team of 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

Ziycon wrote: »
    I know this is a very broad and open question but I'm trying to get a sense of how far and wide PHP is used in Ireland, among students in college too small amd medium companies.
    Not sure about students in college but most of the Irish web is SME in nature.
    Does anyone know where I might get some stats or an idea around PHP usage in Ireland?
    It might be possible to dig up some.

Regards...jmcc

sheesh wrote: »

Contact the cro.ie
    CRO doesn't do websites and does not keep data on Irish business and company websites. The Irish Times Top 1000 site isn't much use either as many of these companies will have their own solution and this may or may not use PHP. The Irish webscape is, excluding non-Irish hosted sites and non-Irish sites hosted in Amazon etc, has approximately 400K domain names with probably less than 30% actively developed as websites. Deduping would probably reduce that webscape of just under 100K sites.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

A very high percentage of them would be using Wordpress, so PHP, as it's now the most common CMS in use.

However similar to the developer / designer comment above - it doesn't tell you about actual development..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

ok so all my ideas suck!

op have you tried http://www.iia.ie/ irish internet association they might have some stats.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Check the larger job sites if you're trying to get an idea of demand for php/frameworks.

sheesh wrote: »
    ok so all my ideas suck!

op have you tried http://www.iia.ie/ irish internet association they might have some stats.
    Would have difficulty finding their ass with a map, a torch and a picture in terms of this kind of data. :)

Regards...jmcc

Blacknight wrote: »
    A very high percentage of them would be using Wordpress, so PHP, as it's now the most common CMS in use.

However similar to the developer / designer comment above - it doesn't tell you about actual development..
    And checking the headers for a website may indicate that the site is PHP enabled (has PHP module or similar) but many holding/parked/PPC sites may also have this kind of signature.

Regards...jmcc

On the search engine data here, there are 1410 different webserver headers/signatures.
    68.43% had Apache in the headers.
    0.952% had PHP in the headers.
    11.22% IIS in the headers.
    6.03% nginx in the headers.

For PHP use, it would be necessary to check the link data for any kind of real certainty.

As Blacknight mentioned above, Wordpress is the most popular web development tool and it seems to have supplanted Dreamweaver as a production tool. It would be followed by Joomla.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

jmcc wrote: »
    As Blacknight mentioned above, Wordpress is the most popular web development tool and it seems to have supplanted Dreamweaver as a production tool. It would be followed by Joomla.

The gap between the two is huge though ..

And don't forget the volume of sites that are on Wordpress.com, BlogSpot, Tumblr etc.,

To the original OP - looking at pure volumes is going to be awkward
    What you *might* want to look at is any of the developer / startup meetup / groups and talk to those people

Blacknight wrote: »
    The gap between the two is huge though ..
    Of the sites reporting Wordpress or Joomla as their content generator, Wordpress has 70.09% and Joomla 29.906%

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement