Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2 relaunch one year on

Options
  • 08-09-2015 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

Worst relaunch ever ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

It relaunched, when? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Think the only thing that changed was the logo, and they added in repeats of Friends. Can't see anything else different.
    As huge hits in the past like Lost, Desperate Housewives, Revenge and Prison Break have gone now - they really are struggling to find a big US show - with Sky gobbling up the main ones. Gotham fails to reach nearly 60,000 on a Monday night.
    Their documentaries are repeated a lot. Angela Scanlon docs must be on every month, along with that drink experiment/survey one.

If they didn't have live sport they would be in an awful position. They'll need to re-evaluate it over the coming years and see does it serve a purpose anymore - just like BBC knew BBC Three's time was coming to an end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They have decent shows, they just schedule for stupid times, 2/3am, so you wouldn't even know they're on unless you see an ad for them or are already watching TV at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They have decent shows, they just schedule for stupid times, 2/3am, so you wouldn't even know they're on unless you see an ad for them or are already watching TV at that time.

Yeah its still the same. For example repeating Friends at 7:30 over showing something new at 7pm is stupid.

It homegrown shows are too alike, it would be fine if they had other alternative programmes but the all too cool documentary presenters are just a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭swoofer

rte2 is now like a satellite channel for teens, enough said, their onscreen crap is a disgrace, ie brand new, all ireland weekend and others, I cant wait when they start
    " today is tuesday, " and so on. And that rte2 hd lpgo has been out of sync from day one.

in a word awful channel. so glad sky have gaa

• Advertisement

Channel 5 set to begin broadcasting episodes of Neighbours on the same day as they air in Australia. Wonder will RTE2 follow suit?

http://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/neighbours-to-air-on-same-day-as-episodes-in-australia-34215924.html

That might be the type of question the journalist who wrote that article might ask..... oh wait it's a copy and paste job!

Elmo wrote: »
    That might be the type of question the journalist who wrote that article might ask..... oh wait it's a copy and paste job!

Yep I would have thought they'd at least ask RTE about it before they were going to publish the article. Wonder will channel 5 try break a deal for Home&Away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

rogercross wrote: »
    It relaunched, when? :rolleyes:

I must confess I thought the exact same thing before clicking on to this thread. I cannot honestly remember the last time that I watched something on Network 2 (unless it was a sports game). It seems to be all teenages drama rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Anti Anorak

Without sport RTE 2 would be untenable for RTE. I really don't understand why they are chasing the 15=25s, that age group don't watch television anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Without sport RTE 2 would be untenable for RTE. I really don't understand why they are chasing the 15=25s, that age group don't watch television anymore.

Wholeheartedly agree. Only time I watch RTE2 HD is for the sport and when they lose the 6 Nations Rugby to TV3 (2018) I will watch even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Even if RTE 2 is starting to look thin, especially with losing the international rugby, from an optics perspective at least it will be retained.

How bad would it look having 2,000 odd staff & a €350 million budget with just 1 single TV station.

RTE2 could be a test card and they would keep it on air for the sake of having 2 channels.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Next summer when the Euros and (later) the Olympics clash with the GAA you'll be thanking RTE for having those two channels.

icdg wrote: »
    Next summer when the Euros and (later) the Olympics clash with the GAA you'll be thanking RTE for having those two channels.

Or, we'll do what we have always done.... & would do no matter how many channels RTE had...

Watch it in the Beeb.

Or, we'll do what we have always done.... & would do no matter how many channels RTE had...

Watch it in the Beeb.

So we assume that them losing the Rugby really didn't affect your viewing habits in any case? Since you watched them on ITV (RWC) and BBC (6 Nations). Suppose BBC is looking a bit thin with half the 6 nations on ITV.

So we assume that them losing the Rugby really didn't affect your viewing habits in any case?

No, and it certainly won't reduce my annual tax for them either..... Sadly.

But I'm sure the money will be better spent on dreadful imported sitcoms.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

icdg wrote: »

RTE actually have four TV channels. Two of them are completely wasted with no income and no viewers - along with quite a few of their DAB/Saorview radio stations.

RTE actually have four TV channels. Two of them are completely wasted with no income and no viewers - along with quite a few of their DAB/Saorview radio stations.

Actually 1 and a half rte one +1 carries ads. And both it an RTEjr have about 0.7% audience

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Actually 1 and a half rte one +1 carries ads. And both it an RTEjr have about 0.7% audience

Do advertisers pay extra for that tiny extra audience? Don't forget that 0.7% includes RTE Jr that has no advertising - so how much of an audience watches RTE 1 +1?

I would not think it counts much as RTE 1 gets over 20% of the total audience (but it is a bit down on that at the moment).

RTE NN and RTE Jr are not allowed to have adverts and neither can RTE2 when it is showing kid's programmes. Overall, they have two non-earning channels for which the pay some of the €8m for Saorview transmission (which includes their two main channels). Without them, they could drop the 2nd mux and save about €3m to €4m a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's just a pity they can't do anything because of moaning from TV3.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    It's just a pity they can't do anything because of moaning from TV3.

It is not just TV3.

Comreg set the rules for charges from Saorview so that needs to be fixed. BAI could set the rules for HD on Saorview. Minister White could issue a SI to release RTE from the +1 regime on the RTE 1+1 and allow them to run an archive channel, and release RTE from running kids programmes on RTE 2. It is up to the Dail Committee to agree to pay for OTV or to get them exempted by SI or Dail resolution. They have no problem paying Sky.

It is not just TV3.

Comreg set the rules for charges from Saorview so that needs to be fixed. BAI could set the rules for HD on Saorview. Minister White could issue a SI to release RTE from the +1 regime on the RTE 1+1 and allow them to run an archive channel, and release RTE from running kids programmes on RTE 2. It is up to the Dail Committee to agree to pay for OTV or to get them exempted by SI or Dail resolution. They have no problem paying Sky.

Comreg could reassess their charges.

The BAI don't want to regulate. Was on twitter where they sent a person wanting to complain about content on 3e during the day to ComReg because it was a premium rate phone call, yet the BAI regulate content. While, they insist on giving money to Setanta programming comissions.

I wonder if the Minister could Issue such an SI on RTE ONE +1, while the minister has too much power in relation to decisions made on RTE proposals once a decision is made I doubt the Minister could issue an SI undoing the work of the original decision without going back to the BAI and looking consultations. He could however make a decision on RTE's proposals to move RTEjr from RTE2 as the decision was never made.

The member of the Oireachtas have several ways around fees which they seem unwilling to do. They could legislate so that OTV is carried free of charge on Soarview, they could place OTV under the remit of RTE, the minister for finance and the minister for Communications could provide a portion of the licence fee to OTV for carriage cost on Soarview. All of these decision could have insured that Sky would pick up the tab for OTV on its platform as it does for other Irish public service broadcasters. Instead they want to just kick RTE in the press as they are an easy target.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

RTE2 has some muck for this year's Christmas schedule as I watched their ad this evening.

They have some of the following shows in their line-up.

The Al Porter Show
    Panti Bliss 2015 (Probably a year in review programme or something)
    Apres Match Best Bits
    Rubberbandits Guide to 2016

Could it not get any worse for Christmas 2015. Merciful Jesus tonight. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Could it not get any worse for Christmas 2015. Merciful Jesus tonight. :rolleyes:

Yes. Look at what TV3 have on.

Advertisement