Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veterinary Medicine-Limited Places

Options
  • 07-09-2015 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have my heart set on doing Veterinary Medicine in UCD. I am now in 5th year and have been doing more research regarding the course.
    I am capable of getting the points, although, one thing that concerns me is the amount of places available in the course. In 2014 there were 85 available places, but there were 629 applicants for the course.
    What's the point of trying your best for the points, when you may not be offered a place? I have a one in 7 chance of getting the course, even if I get the points.
    So, is it worth it? Or is it one big gamble? If I don't get offered a place in the course, is it possible to reapply next year, as an undergrad (use my cao points)?
    Sorry for all the questions, there's hardly anything online about this. Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JK2015

I don't know if you understand how the CAO system works. If you get the points for a course, you get a place - the 85 applicants with the highest points get a place, and the lowest score is the cut-off point for the course that year. So of the 629 applicants, the 85 with the highest LC scores earned a place.
    Unless you are at the cutoff point and random selection is applied, there is no chance, probability or luck involved. Do your absolute best in the LC - thats all you can do for the best chance of getting the course you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 QCS123

If you aim to get 580 or over you will almost definitely get a place. All of those 629 applicants definitely did not get the required points.

This year the points were 575 and not everyone on those points got in as there were over 85 of them, so they had to operate a lotto system. If this happens, however, and you don't get a place you can always apply again the next year without doing any extra work and hope that you're lucky enough with the lotto system then (I know someone who missed out on a 2nd round offer the first time due to the lotto system but reapplied the next year through the cao and got accepted the second time.)

The year before that (2014) first round points were 580, and everyone on those points or above got offered a place. Second round then went to 575 and again, not everyone got a place on those points as there weren't enough places left.

If you aim to get over the points requirement, or even for 580, then you most likely will get in and it is not a 1 in 7 chance.

Advertisement