Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocknacarra to Parkmore/Galway Tech Park

Options
  • 07-09-2015 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Good evening All!

Given that my husband and I have been unable to find a decent 4 bed house on the east side of the city, we are now considering moving to Knocknacarra, as we really can't wait much longer; our 3 year old needs to go to nursery and until we find a place we won't be able to find a place to enrol her at.

I've seen on Google Maps and Journey Plan that the route from Knocknacarra to Galway Technology Park involves crossing the Corrib north of the city centre, on the R338 and both apps are giving me a journey time (with traffic) of around 25 mins. My question to you kind and informative Boarders, is: is this an accurate journey time? Any of you currently doing this commute? Really as long as the journey time is less than an 50-60 mins each way, we will consider moving to Knocknacarra.

Thanks so much in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hi OP,

I live in Knocknacarra (near Joyce's) and commute to Galway Technology Park.

I try to leave for work around 8am and I'll get there usually around 8.20am. The journey home can take anywhere from 20-45 minutes. There are a myriad of different routes to take. I can go into more detail if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

The way out, in the morning, is pretty accurate. I get consistent travel times from Knocknacarra to Ballybrit of 15-20 mins. Parkmore is only a couple of minutes further.

The way back in the evening is a nightmare, traffic-wise. Could be anything from 30-60 minutes (which is still within your bracket though). Sometimes on Monday-Tuesday it could be less but the second half of the week is a killer.

I've always wondered why the traffic is so much worse in the evening, I mean, it's the same cars travelling back... So why there's so much of a traffic jam in the evening but not in the morning?? I don't get it. But anyway, it is what it is.

Personally I think it's a good idea to move, the west side is much nicer. Though you can get some nice places in Oranmore too, the commute from there is not so bad. And the commute could give you some serious stress on the bad days, if you have to get back to the creche by a certain time and you're hopelessly stuck in traffic.

I agree with dastardly00 that there are several routes to take, but the problem is that it's very hard to gauge which one is best. I've tried all the apps: Inrix, Google Traffic, Tomtom traffic, AA Roadwatch.. And none of them are very accurate in my opinion. And once you commit to one route you can get stuck, it's usually not worth it to turn back and try the other ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

The way out, in the morning, is pretty accurate. I get consistent travel times from Knocknacarra to Ballybrit of 15-20 mins. Parkmore is only a couple of minutes further.

The way back in the evening is a nightmare, traffic-wise. Could be anything from 30-60 minutes (which is still within your bracket though). Sometimes on Monday-Tuesday it could be less but the second half of the week is a killer.

I've always wondered why the traffic is so much worse in the evening, I mean, it's the same cars travelling back... So why there's so much of a traffic jam in the evening but not in the morning?? I don't get it. But anyway, it is what it is.

Personally I think it's a good idea to move, the west side is much nicer. Though you can get some nice places in Oranmore too, the commute from there is not so bad.

Snob lol

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Snob lol

Well maybe I just don't know the right places on the east side.. But I just like being by the sea, that's all. That's why I also like Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Well maybe I just don't know the right places on the east side.. But I just like being by the sea, that's all. That's why I also like Oranmore.

Plenty of sea down in Ballyloughane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

OP the journey time depends hugely on the time of day. What time to you start and finish work?

Also Google Maps now offers you to set a time and day for your journey after searching directions, will give more accurate times based on typical traffic at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I am surprised at this section of your post. Why do you think it would just be the "work" commuters who are on this section of road in Galway City in the afternoon. Think of all the retail outlets in the City that are generating the car traffic for starters in the afternoon v's the early morning?

BTW OP
    It takes about 1 hour by Bus from Knocknacarra to Parkmore/Galway Tech Park on a good day. 1h30 if car traffic is heavy. Not many bus lanes in Galway. Cycling takes about 40/45 minutes +/- 5 minutes depending on the wind direction.

I am surprised at this section of your post. Why do you think it would just be the "work" commuters who are on this section of road in Galway City in the afternoon. Think of all the retail outlets in the City that are generating the car traffic for starters in the afternoon v's the early morning?

Hmm good point, I didn't really think of that.. At least I didn't think it would be that much compared to commuters. But that would explain why the traffic is so much worse later in the week, due to the late opening hours.

Advertisement