Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fast charger now 40 Min Limit?

Options
  • 07-09-2015 7:56pm

On the Carlow fast charger now, when I plugged I noticed it said "automatically ending in 40 mins"

Had anyone noticed this with other chargers? I think this would hopefully ease the burden on people who have to wait up to an hour while someone already charging has left the car and doesn't really care if someone needs to use it.

40 mins is a good fair limit and should make up for the extra charge time on a cold battery!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Anything to stop you plugging out after 30 mins and starting the cycle again?

Even if someone were to do that at least it means people can't shag off while they are using a fast charger. They'd have to stick around and plug in and out.
    It's welcome nonetheless.

I don't know if this is only on the Carlow QC if it is it's not there that long. I don;t know about any other DC chargers yet.

Nothing to stop you plugging back in or probably in this case just starting the charge again but yes it would mean people ahve to hang around or at least come abck within the 40 mins. I would liek to see the chargers not allow a charge above 85% max but I do appreciate there might be times you need more than 85% and Dexter said, charge them twice the rate above 80% would be a good idea also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

I don't know if this is only on the Carlow QC if it is it's not there that long. I don;t know about any other DC chargers yet.

Oh yeah, most of the QCs outside Dublin have this 40 minute feature. I drove to Ballina from Drogheda a few weeks ago, 2 out of the 3 QCs have countdown timers.

There is nothing to stop you either unplugging and restarting or pressing stop and start to continue past the 40 minutes. It is strange that none of the QCs I've used outside County Dublin require a card swipe, maybe this will change soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The DBT made ones that I use most of the time don't need a card and don't have the time limit thing as of last night anyways.
    The Efacec one in Waterford needs a card alright and didn't have the limit as of Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

I've seen this at a few FCPs - I thought it was an estimate of how long it'll take to charge to 100% (based on your current charge),

i.e. connect at 20%, it'll say "ending in 40mins",
    connect at 75%, it'll say "ending in 15mins" etc.,

no?

• Advertisement

I've seen this at a few FCPs - I thought it was an estimate of how long it'll take to charge to 100% (based on your current charge),

i.e. connect at 20%, it'll say "ending in 40mins",
    connect at 75%, it'll say "ending in 15mins" etc.,

no?

No that's the count down timer, the charger will end automatically after this time.

Charge times will vary depending on battery temps. It's takes 30 mins from 0-80% when the battery is at optimum temperature (about 20 degrees C) and below this charge times increase so that at about a 10 deg C battery temp you could see an extra 10 mins at the charger and charge times will increase further the colder it gets but I've not yet seen less than 8 Deg C battery temp though last winter wasn't particularly cold.

Regular charging, driving, regen etc helps keep it a bit warm but it will still mean longer charge times in Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Saw this new 40 minute limit at the Esso Ashbourne on Sunday. Charged 4.5%-85% in 30 minutes so 40 minutes should be good enough for most of the users unless the battery pack is really cold.

samih wrote: »
    Saw this new 40 minute limit at the Esso Ashbourne on Sunday. Charged 4.5%-85% in 30 minutes so 40 minutes should be good enough for most of the users unless the battery pack is really cold.

40 mins should be more than enough for everyone, the fast chargers were not designed to charge beyond 80% this is why 0-80% charge times are quoted by the manufacturers.

The thing is you cant see any information on the newer triple headed units because the display won't show you anything unless you scan it with the card that activated it and I wish they'd change this so you get an idea the remaining time left.

No that's the count down timer, the charger will end automatically after this time.

Charge times will vary depending on battery temps. It's takes 30 mins from 0-80% when the battery is at optimum temperature (about 20 degrees C) and below this charge times increase so that at about a 10 deg C battery temp you could see an extra 10 mins at the charger and charge times will increase further the colder it gets but I've not yet seen less than 8 Deg C battery temp though last winter wasn't particularly cold.

Regular charging, driving, regen etc helps keep it a bit warm but it will still mean longer charge times in Winter.

Great! That's a fantastic development so! Seeing as you shouldn't leave a FCP at all, I'd advocate a 25min max. :D

Great! That's a fantastic development so! Seeing as you shouldn't leave a FCP at all, I'd advocate a 25min max. :D

Yeah I don't think most people would need more than 25 mins or even less.

I got from 6% to 50% yesterday in 15 mins. It charges a lot faster the lower the charge.

Mostly I fast charge for 10 mins on the way home from work. My work charger is due to be installed soon, only took them 9 months !!!

I wouldn't have a problem with someone leaving the fast charger as long as they have a note on the dash.

I rarely leave the charger but when I do I have my number on one side or a "you can plug me out" on the other and I make sure the lock is off so the charge plug can be removed. The lock is something a lot of people don't think about then you have to hit the emergency stop and I'm not sure if that;s a good idea.

• Advertisement

I rarely leave the charger but when I do I have my number on one side or a "you can plug me out" on the other and I make sure the lock is off so the charge plug can be removed. The lock is something a lot of people don't think about then you have to hit the emergency stop and I'm not sure if that;s a good idea.

Agreed. I leave a note with my work mobile number on the dash beside the charging LEDs...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have a sticker under the charge lid.

"OK to unplug at 80%, or call 078********".

I very rarely leave the car at a FCP unless it's at Applegreens etc and I've gone in for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

It's a pity the esb app doesn't show chargers in use and percentage charge left

Advertisement