Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget College/ Gaming Laptop?

Options
  • 07-09-2015 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Basically I start college soon and was told I would need to buy a laptop as it will be a lot of assessment and project work,

I am big into my gaming and was wondering if there are any laptops at a budget of about 500 euro that could suit me as a college laptop with the bonus of allowing some gaming? Obviously the college aspect of it is most important but before I buy one I was just curious if there was one to combine the two.

In advance, I know most gaming laptops are about 1000+ and as I am mostly a console gamer I'm not interested in anything fancy or expensive, just something that can run the HD version of age of empires and maybe the sims 3 or 4 if i'm lucky, nothing high end and mostly older games.

Any recommendations would be brilliant

Thanks in advance

Comments

budget, college and gaming not really compatible.
    college you ideally want portable (light) and long battery life.

something like this is the closest that you'll get in your budget if you must have gaming.

http://www.amazon.de/Lenovo-Notebook-i5-4210U-GeForce-Betriebssystem/dp/B00Q2R29J0/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1441634275&sr=1-1&keywords=lenovo+840m

840m is not the worst card, with i5 and 256gb ssd.

but it has no OS included. you could source a cheap win 7 key and then upgrade to win 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ca0imhe

Thanks for the reply,

I feel like I would struggle greatly with the lack of OS as I know next to nothing about laptops..

I know it's a lot to ask and probably impossible but since I'm buying a laptop anyway I wouldn't mind spending a bit more to be able to play something like skyrim or the sims.. Do you know if there's even a minimum requirement (as in card etc) to meet so that I could get them to run smoothly enough or am I asking too much?

Any other suggestions would be great! Thanks again

ca0imhe wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply,

I feel like I would struggle greatly with the lack of OS as I know next to nothing about laptops..

I know it's a lot to ask and probably impossible but since I'm buying a laptop anyway I wouldn't mind spending a bit more to be able to play something like skyrim or the sims.. Do you know if there's even a minimum requirement (as in card etc) to meet so that I could get them to run smoothly enough or am I asking too much?

Any other suggestions would be great! Thanks again

the laptop above would run skyrim on medium high setting at least. if you can't install an os it's pretty easy if you google it. download win 7 install from usb version on another pc, put on usb card. use key you bought.
    if you can get into college you can handle it :)
    personally I would buy a college suitable laptop and enjoy your time in college in non-gaming ways! (you'll only be in college once).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Be wary of the laptop posted above, it'll come with a German keyboard layout.
    Too many problems sorting the OS and keyboard to make it worthwhile.

Advertisement