Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Kitchen - costs?

Options
  • 07-09-2015 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm close to completing on my first home (3 bed duplex approx 100m2, south Dublin) and since I'll hopefully have about a month of overlap with my current apartment lease, I'm hoping to use the time to make some improvements before I move in.

The property was previously a buy to let investment, and all things considered its in reasonably good shape, however the kitchen is definitly a cheap one and the appliances are all very old as mismatched.

To put my stamp on the place the first thing I'd like to do would be to replace the kitchen. Its not going to be a forever home for me (maybe 10 years?) so I don't want to invest in a super expensive kitchen, but i definitely want to get something modern, light and bright.

Does anyone have any advice on possible suppliers? I'd ideally be in favour of dealing with someone who will both sell me the kitchen and fit it also, just to minimize hassle. I'm looking for units, worktop, all appliances and flooring (everything basically!)

I've had a quick look in Homebase at the weekend and the prices seem good, but just wondering if there are hidden extras I should budget for? Also planning on looking at IKEA and Cash and Carry Kitchens.

Finally, has anyone haggled with any of the above? I'm assuming IKEA won't budge on price but do you think I could do better than the sticker price at other places?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Homebase sells display kitchens.. If any of them meets your requirements you can make huge savings there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Thanks mhge,

Do you mean ex-display from their stores? So my space would have to match exactly their standard size?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Thanks mhge,

Do you mean ex-display from their stores? So my space would have to match exactly their standard size?

Yes - it would have to be at least a rough match (you can always get extra units of course).

mhge wrote: »
    Yes - it would have to be at least a rough match (you can always get extra units of course).

Thanks, thats interesting to note, as the space itself is pretty square so might actually be possible in this case!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We looked at Ikea kitchens and if you need them to fit them they dont' work out that cheap. I think the fitting was as much as the kitchen! Spent ages designing one in the store one day before we realised.

• Advertisement

sillysocks wrote: »
    We looked at Ikea kitchens and if you need them to fit them they dont' work out that cheap. I think the fitting was as much as the kitchen! Spent ages designing one in the store one day before we realised.

Thanks Sillysocks - I've heard from other people that IKEA are expensive for fitting. Do you mind me asking what you went for in the end and approximate costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Thanks Sillysocks - I've heard from other people that IKEA are expensive for fitting. Do you mind me asking what you went for in the end and approximate costs?

We just got a local kitchen maker/carpenter who got it for us. I think he used to order from one of the bigger companies and then just fit it himself.

Thanks - i guess I'd always thought that was an expensive option but maybe its worth looking into.

Advertisement