Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

importing a classic van

Options
  • 07-09-2015 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, I am looking to import a 1978 UAZ452 (Russian 4x4 van) from Czech republic. There is no paper work just a receipt from the Czech motor dealer. Will there be VAT due as the dealer is trying to charge me 21% in Czech republic and will there be a problem with the lack of paperwork when go to register it in Ireland? Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

you wont be able to re-register it without the paperwork

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

I agree with the previous poster, I can't see how you could register it without any paperwork.

Perhaps you should call the motortax office or whoever you need to register with before going ahead with the purchase, to know for sure where you stand legally?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sherpas

Thanks I emailed them last week but got reply to date maybe I should try call

Sherpas wrote: »
    Thanks I emailed them last week but got reply to date maybe I should try call

Hi, did you get a chance to call this week? If so, how did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Hi, I am looking to import a 1978 UAZ452 (Russian 4x4 van) from Czech republic. There is no paper work just a receipt from the Czech motor dealer. Will there be VAT due as the dealer is trying to charge me 21% in Czech republic and will there be a problem with the lack of paperwork when go to register it in Ireland? Thanks for any help

You could just drive it around for a few months then return home for a few..;);):)

• Advertisement

I got a mail back from the VRT office and as it's a vintage van they will accept a letter confirming the chassis numbernumber is correct for the make model and year if manufacturemanufacture. That letter can be from be from the manufacturer or a know motor vintage motor club. So I think I can get a letter confirming that from the RussianRussian importer to Czech republic. So hopefully that will be enough

That sounds promising, so good luck! :)

Cheers I should find out in a month or so when I drive it back and get it registered fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

you may be able to convince the vendor to sell it vat free for export, which you can prove later when its imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

As it's a one off and probably not on the VRT system, you will need it to be signed off by a motor dealer/garage confirming that it complies with various parts of the road traffic act, the VRT office will give you a template of the letter to scan onto the garage headed paper for this.

• Advertisement

Oh I didn't know that I better try and get that form then. Thanks very much

When you present your van and the paperwork at the NCT/VRT centre they won't complete on the day as it's a one off, revenue will do a manual calculation, they will give you a template of the relevant road traffic act details which the garage will scan onto their own headed paper.
    You will then return to the centre with your documents, 3/4 days later you will get a text or phonecall from revenue with a notice of payment due, you then return to the centre to make your payment and receive your new reg. no...

OK that v sounds good. I can get that done. Thanks very much hopefully I'll be able to post of the van on its Irish plates in a few weeks or so

Don't forget to post a few pics.

Left out the word picture there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

What insurance would you drive it home on?? I was thinking of the same and dont know which...

Good question I've been having a bit of trouble with insurance campions are the best so far I think. I'll know more next week when I hear back from a free other brokers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

Good question I've been having a bit of trouble with insurance campions are the best so far I think. I'll know more next week when I hear back from a free other brokers

I wouldnt recommend 'First Ireland'. I've found them seriously 'wanting' to deal with. Endless 'please press 1 for,...please press 2 for.., then nobody answers for ages, then they phone you back if you leave a voice mail and then put you on hold again'. (This happened several times over a few weeks)

And after all that they didnt post out my certificate and disc until I phoned looking for it ...twice!?! Disaster!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

You must be phoning at the busy time of the day then Silvera!

Jumping through their menus is no worse than other firms. I've waited, but not painfully long and then get dealt with.

They did phone me to chase up a mileage declaration they wanted before releasing the cert. I didn't get hassled for ages after and I eventually gave up trying to find it, so I called them, got a email form sent over and completed and signed it. Sent it in with a covering letter and got the cert by return of post (2 days).

I've had the call back option, and if you use it, they seem to get round to that the next working day. It's a bit crap when you need an answer yesterday. So I don't use it and phone them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

macplaxton wrote: »
    You must be phoning at the busy time of the day then Silvera!

Jumping through their menus is no worse than other firms. I've waited, but not painfully long and then get dealt with.

They did phone me to chase up a mileage declaration they wanted before releasing the cert. I didn't get hassled for ages after and I eventually gave up trying to find it, so I called them, got a email form sent over and completed and signed it. Sent it in with a covering letter and got the cert by return of post (2 days).

I've had the call back option, and if you use it, they seem to get round to that the next working day. It's a bit crap when you need an answer yesterday. So I don't use it and phone them later.

I phoned them at various different of the day times over a period of a few weeks, and it was the same every time. It takes forever to actually speak to somebody. After you get through the dreaded 'press 1, press 2' crap, then you are put on hold...I'm not joking..for a solid 5-10mins, then it either cuts you off, or puts you back through the menu again?!

I'm a very patient person, and I've experienced plenty of 'waiting times' on the phone over my life, but this has been the worst ever in my experience.

Then, to add insult to injury, they 'forgot' to send out my cert and disc...TWICE!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Did you say "twice", TWICE? I didn't hear you the first time! :P

Advertisement