Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct flight Dublin to Beijing.

Options
  • 06-09-2015 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here think that there'd be a demand for a direct (not necessarily non-stop though) flight from Dublin to Beijing.

There's now a direct, non-stop flight from Addis Ababa to Dublin which continues on to Los Angeles, I know this only exists because the plane has to refuel in EIDW because of runway length issues in Addis Ababa (could be mistaken though).

But if the seats are being filled on the Addis to Dub route do you not think that there'd be demand for the Dub to Beijing route? There is a significant Chinese community in Ireland and it is opening up as a good tourist destination.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,194 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's been rumoured as a future Hainan route for years now. With connections I think there'd be enough demand - there's always some induced growth when a route opens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

I know this only exists because the plane has to refuel in EIDW because of runway length issues in Addis Ababa (could be mistaken though).

It's due to the airfield elevation in Addis. The runway could be 30,000feet long, and it still couldn't do the route nonstop.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

There's now a direct, non-stop flight from Addis Ababa to Dublin which continues on to Los Angeles.......

But if the seats are being filled on the Addis to Dub route do you not think that there'd be demand for the Dub to Beijing route? There is a significant Chinese community in Ireland and it is opening up as a good tourist destination.
    Just because a market exists to LAX doesn't mean a marker exits to PEK or other Chinese destinations.

However I would agree that there is a market for some direct flight o Asia from DUB. Whether that is Hainan to PEK or Cathay to HKG, both are being hinted at. But hints do not make a route.

The runway length at DUB may be a hinderance, the dominance of EK and EY is another. The lack of home partner airline could be a factor...EI joining Oneworld will solve this issue for the Cathay option.

In summary, a direct flight to China is certainly plausible, but not yet visible on radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

It's mentioned as desirable in the National Aviation Policy. I think there was an article a while back saying the DAA were pursuing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Wasn't there already a thread on this a few months back?

• Advertisement

FWVT wrote: »
    Wasn't there already a thread on this a few months back?

Yeah, but possibly years back. It's always been Air China that's mooted as the starter of the route except now I think it's Hainan.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

What makes even more interesting looking (from a purely theoretical aspect of course :)) is just how close both Bejing and Hong Kong are to the great circle route from Dublin to Sydney, and it's pretty much the mid point of the route to Sydney. Makes me wonder if there's an opening for IAG here, given the comments that have been made over the years in respect to trade with China.

According to the great circle mapper, Bejing is just over 9 and a half hours in an A330-200, which is well within the range of the aircraft, and not an issue for a 330-300 either.

That said I would have to wonder how many en route alternates there would be with how far North it goes over Russia, and overflying Novosibirsk Cosmodrome might not be readily approved.Strike that, Brain fade, I got Novosibirsk and Baikonur mixed up

Could also be an attractive route for Norwegian, being as it goes right over the top of Oslo.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Tenger wrote: »
    Just because a market exists to LAX doesn't mean a marker exits to PEK or other Chinese destinations.

However I would agree that there is a market for some direct flight o Asia from DUB. Whether that is Hainan to PEK or Cathay to HKK, both are being hinted at. But hints do not make a route.

The runway length at DUB may be a hinderance, the dominance of EK and EY is another. The lack of home partner airline could be a factor...EI joining Oneworld will solve this issue for the Cathay option.

In summary, a direct flight to China is certainly plausible, but not yet visible on radar.

I doubt that Cathay flies to Hokitika and I wouldn't want to endure the number of fuel stops on a HKK suitable craft all the way from DUB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

I'd be thinking Dublin - Hong Kong. There is always strong through traffic Ireland - Australia / New Zealand. And Hong Kong is a modern airport hub with a lot of routes for further connectivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

how far North it goes over Russia, and overflying Novosibirsk Cosmodrome might not be readily approved.

Why would that be an issue?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Why would that be an issue?

There may be problems with having suitable alternates that far north, that would be open and available to international flights, while in theory it's possible to land on any runway that's long enough, that doesn't mean that the place you've then landed at will have the necessary equipment to get the passengers off the aircraft, or to accommodate them if there's a technical snag that means it can't continue the flight.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Yeah, but possibly years back. It's always been Air China that's mooted as the starter of the route except now I think it's Hainan.

The last post was in January of this year.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Marcusm wrote: »
    I doubt that Cathay flies to Hokitika and I wouldn't want to endure the number of fuel stops on a HKK suitable craft all the way from DUB.
    Very funny......probably a fuel stop in HKG and SYD would suffice? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Tenger wrote: »
    Very funny......probably a fuel stop in HKG and SYD would suffice? :P

HKK's usual craft is an ATR so I'd be planning 7-10 fuel stops at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Sunday Independent reporting that a new Dublin Beijing route by Hainan could be announced within weeks that would incorporate an Edinburgh stopover.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/dublin-set-for-direct-beijing-flight-as-film-locations-attract-fans-35736785.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I'm amused at the thought of a "direct flight" that stops in Edinburgh.

Don't we already have similar "direct flights" via Heathrow, Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, etc...?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Noxegon wrote: »

Don't we already have similar "direct flights" via Heathrow, Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, etc...?

There would be a distinct difference between this and the other places you list if it's a through flight - passengers would stay on the aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Open Up

Direct flights are not the same as non-stop flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

If you fly via Amsterdam, Paris, London etc you have to disembark, get to new gate possibly in different terminal amd wait till new flight is ready to go.

A "direct" flight may stop enroute, but you don't leave the aircraft, stay in your seat and you are usually back in the air within an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Open Up

CeilingFly wrote: »
    If you fly via Amsterdam, Paris, London etc you have to disembark, get to new gate possibly in different terminal amd wait till new flight is ready to go.

A "direct" flight may stop enroute, but you don't leave the aircraft, stay in your seat and you are usually back in the air within an hour.

Let's not forget all of Aer Lingus' old direct TA services that stopped in Shannon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Open Up wrote: »
    Let's not forget all of Aer Lingus' old direct TA services that stopped in Shannon. :)

Sshhh - we'd be showing our age!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

elastico wrote: »
    I'd be thinking Dublin - Hong Kong. There is always strong through traffic Ireland - Australia / New Zealand. And Hong Kong is a modern airport hub with a lot of routes for further connectivity.

Can't see a demand from HKG-DUB..CX already fly LGW, LHR and MAN.

Beijing seems more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Noxegon

CeilingFly wrote: »

It'll be interesting to see if that actually happens on this proposed route. I've taken the KLM AMS-TPE via BKK a few times, and everyone has to be re-screened in BKK.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Given it's passenger numbers Dublin is appallingly served for long haul routes. 

Manchester which had 2 and a half million less passengers than Dublin last year and has fantastic road and rail links to the big London airports, has direct flights to Beijing, Hong Kong and Singapore. 

Vienna, which had 5 million less passengers than Dublin last year, has direct routes to Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Bangkok, Seoul and Taipei.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ohlordy

snotboogie wrote: »

Manchester which had 2 and a half million less passengers than Dublin last year and has fantastic road and rail links to the big London airports, has direct flights to Beijing, Hong Kong and Singapore. 

Vienna, which had 5 million less passengers than Dublin last year, has direct routes to Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Bangkok, Seoul and Taipei.

The important thing is catchment population
    According to Manchester airport website there are 20 million people within a 2 hour drive
    According to Vienna airport website there are 14 million within their catchment ares

Dublin would have about 5 million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

ohlordy wrote: »
    According to Manchester airport website there are 20 million people within a 2 hour drive
    According to Vienna airport website there are 14 million within their catchment ares

Very true and also remember that Ireland is a small island with a large percentage of its flights going to the UK. These short hops in mainland Europe or indeed within GB would be made by road or rail so it inflates Dublins traffic levels above the norm for a city its size. There is definitely more demand for these services in Manchester than here right now.

Oslo? Copenhagen? Helsinki? Lisbon? All have multiple direct Far East routes and similar catchment population to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ohlordy

Oslo? Copenhagen? Helsinki? Lisbon? All have multiple direct Far East routes and similar catchment population to Dublin.

I don't know. But Lisbon has no eastern connectivity so scratch that from your query.
    It has plenty of Latin American flights, and to Angola and Mozambique as the former coloniser

• Registered Users Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The first three are all located in Scandinavia and are hub airports for flights to the far east for Norwegian, SAS and Finnair. Perfectly located hubs for that purpose too.

Lisbon currently has no far east destinations - they only start in July. It is a hub however for Africa and Latin America.

Dublin is a hub for transatlantic destinations.

• Advertisement

I don't know. But Lisbon has no eastern connectivity so scratch that from your query.
    It has plenty of Latin American flights, and to Angola and Mozambique as the former coloniser
    Both Beijing and Hangzhou start in July

Advertisement