Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Sunday Game Presenters and Analysis Salary

  • 06-09-2015 7:57pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭✭ brendan353


    I am wondering how much do the Sunday Game Presenters (Michael Lyster and Des Cahill) and the analysts (Liam Sheedy & Joe Brolly etc) get paid for their work on the Sunday Game? Since RTÉ is a public institution I wonder if there are public sources of information about incomes. I would assume that they are contractors like Pat Kenny and don't get directly employed by RTÉ.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭ Paulzx


    Thinking of throwing your hat in the ring?

    :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ wicklowwonder


    brendan353 wrote: »
    I am wondering how much do the Sunday Game Presenters (Michael Lyster and Des Cahill) and the analysts (Liam Sheedy & Joe Brolly etc) get paid for their work on the Sunday Game? Since RTÉ is a public institution I wonder if there are public sources of information about incomes. I would assume that they are contractors like Pat Kenny and don't get directly employed by RTÉ.

    Lyster and Cahill are full time RTE employees and do other sports reporting as well as far as I know. The analysts I am not sure about but imagine they all have other jobs so probably contractors.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭ themandan6611


    they pay to do it so they do


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ ProudDUB


    Cahill deffo does other work for RTE other than the Sunday Game, but what else does Lyster do? I've a vague notion that he does horse racing broadcasting too, or am I mixing him up with someone else?

    The pundits are all paid per appearances. They all have full time other jobs, so none of them are on permanent contracts. I've seen amounts as low as 1000-1500 euros per show, being mentioned here. Getting that kind of money for a days work, may seem like a lot to the likes of you and me. But when you factor in tax and whatnot, its not really a tremendous amount of money, considering that TSG rakes in truckloads of money in advertizing revenue. I'd imagine that their big "name" pundits like Tomas O'Se and Henry Sheflin are on a bit more, but I've never seen any official numbers released.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭ kala85


    ProudDUB wrote: »
    Cahill deffo does other work for RTE other than the Sunday Game, but what else does Lyster do? I've a vague notion that he does horse racing broadcasting too, or am I mixing him up with someone else?

    The pundits are all paid per appearances. They all have full time other jobs, so none of them are on permanent contracts. I've seen amounts as low as 1000-1500 euros per show, being mentioned here. Getting that kind of money for a days work, may seem like a lot to the likes of you and me. But when you factor in tax and whatnot, its not really a tremendous amount of money, considering that TSG rakes in truckloads of money in advertizing revenue. I'd imagine that their big "name" pundits like Tomas O'Se and Henry Sheflin are on a bit more, but I've never seen any official numbers released.

    That's still at least 500 to 600 after tax nearly every weekend over the summer for just talking about gaa.

    Money for jam in my opinion.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 phkk


    kala85 wrote: »
    That's still at least 500 to 600 after tax nearly every weekend over the summer for just talking about gaa.
    Ah ffs, give them a break-least they deserve after what they've contributed. Rooney €300k per week-have some perspective man!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 Flint Fredstone


    phkk wrote: »
    Ah ffs, give them a break-least they deserve after what they've contributed. Rooney €300k per week-have some perspective man!

    Silly comparison. While Rooney isn't worth anywhere near that, not that any of them are, the amount of money in soccer is astronomical and wages will correlate with that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 klairondavis


    ProudDUB wrote: »
    Cahill deffo does other work for RTE other than the Sunday Game, but what else does Lyster do? I've a vague notion that he does horse racing broadcasting too, or am I mixing him up with someone else?

    Lyster used to do the rallying and presented on Sports Stadium and Olympics coverage. He mostly does the radio bulletins nowadays.


  • Registered Users Posts: 677 phkk


    Silly comparison. While Rooney isn't worth anywhere near that, not that any of them are, the amount of money in soccer is astronomical and wages will correlate with that.

    Why begrudge them afew bob after all that they have sacrificed over the years is what I was trying to accentuate


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭ citykat


    kala85 wrote: »
    That's still at least 500 to 600 after tax nearly every weekend over the summer for just talking about gaa.

    Money for jam in my opinion.


    It's not every weekend tbf. I can only imagine the number of yahoos they come across whose opinion/criticism they have to endure. Money wouldn't pay me to suffer that.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ ProudDUB


    It's pretty decent money alright, compared to what the average man in the street makes for a days work. But the likes of Miriam O'Callaghan, Ryan Turbidy, Brendan O'Connor etc etc all rake in hundreds of thousands of euros a year. Granted, they all work all year around, compared to just 10-12 weekends a year, but even so, the Sunday Game money isn't all that great, compared to what they all earn.

    Add in the massive amount of money that TSG must make from ad revenue, considering the huge ratings that they get & I'd be asking for a lot more money, if I was a pundit on the show. I've just never gotten the call yet for some strange reason. :confused:


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭ munchkin_utd


    Lyster used to do the rallying and presented on Sports Stadium and Olympics coverage. He mostly does the radio bulletins nowadays.
    doesn't he also do the league highlights programme, which would be another 10 to 12 weekends over the spring ?

    The real scandal of RTE pay days is Marien Fionnucane who got paid just short of 500grand, for a couple of hours of a show at the weekend, and that for the odd weekend she actually bothered turn up for work (unbelievable the amount of weeks theres a stand in for her).

    The GAA commentators didn't make it into the RTE top ten with Bryan Dobson and George Hamilton taking up the last 2 places at about 200 grand each.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭ kala85


    I wouldn't mind but there are lots of analysts on the Sunday game whose analysis I wouldn't even rate. I could come up with better analysis myself.

    I think Jim mcguinness has shown up how poor some of the football analysis really is.

    Some of the analysts were also managers.so it means that they were always getting paid some sort of money.


    And then we have Martin Carney and Tommy Carr who are just plain annoying.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭ efb


    Analysts on the ditch now.

    You need to have a commending tv presence
    You need to be able articulate your views in a way the viewers respond to
    You need to have a very good knowledge of the game

    That's just 3 off the top of my head. Punditry ain't as easy as it looks


  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭✭ Tipp Red


    kala85 wrote: »
    That's still at least 500 to 600 after tax nearly every weekend over the summer for just talking about gaa.

    Money for jam in my opinion.

    Talking about GAA is fine but when you're going in front of the nation and opening yourself up to criticism I think they deserve every cent of it


  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭ Mehapoy


    Tipp Red wrote: »
    kala85 wrote: »
    That's still at least 500 to 600 after tax nearly every weekend over the summer for just talking about gaa.

    Money for jam in my opinion.

    Talking about GAA is fine but when you're going in front of the nation and opening yourself up to criticism I think they deserve every cent of it
    Funny old country! Whereas the players play gaa in front of the nation and are very much opening themselves up to all sorts of scrutiny and don't get a nab for it!


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭ MayoAreMagic


    Mehapoy wrote: »
    Funny old country! Whereas the players play gaa in front of the nation and are very much opening themselves up to all sorts of scrutiny and don't get a nab for it!

    Indeed.
    The whole amateur ethos thing, if not anything other than lip service, should apply to everyone involved, be it players, coaches, analysts and presidents. In reality it is just the players, or at least the majority of them, that are not being paid.

    Edit, add in union officials to that list also...


  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭✭ Tipp Red


    Mehapoy wrote: »
    Funny old country! Whereas the players play gaa in front of the nation and are very much opening themselves up to all sorts of scrutiny and don't get a nab for it!

    They were players too and in the same boat 're not getting paid. Now that they are on TV they surely deserve going rates for people going in front of the screen. Re Lyster and co. They are professional broadcasters and their pay is a different matter.


Advertisement