Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaggia MDF Grinder vs Sage Smart Grinder

Options
  • 06-09-2015 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I am a looking to get an electronic grinder. Using a Hario Hand Grinder for espresso for several months, my arms have snapped. I am using a Gaggia Classic (one that is not even for sale any more). Its a black plastic, bulky frame. I am wondering which is my situation would be the better grinder(or which one would be least wasted).

Gaggia MDF Grinder

vs.

Sage Smart Grinder

I already weigh my coffee so while the dosing iq is nice but I will probably weigh the coffee frist then add into grinder. Anyone have any experience either machines or both machines?

Which one 1 vote

Gaggia MDF Grinder
    0% 0 votes
    Sage Smart Grinder
    100% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Broadsider

I've been using the Gaggia grinder for many years without a problem. The one disadvantage is it dose the portafilter very accurately so there's always grinds on the counter much to my wife's annoyance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

I had the Gaggia MDF for years and I found it to be a good grinder. It's loud but you can get a really fine grind. I upgraded to the Vario and although the grind quality is better, it doesn't grind as fine so I am having trouble with some of the lighter roasted single origin beans available. Have no experience with the other grinder you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭donnacha

Quattroste wrote: »
    I had the Gaggia MDF for years and I found it to be a good grinder. It's loud but you can get a really fine grind. I upgraded to the Vario and although the grind quality is better, it doesn't grind as fine so I am having trouble with some of the lighter roasted single origin beans available. Have no experience with the other grinder you mention.

Your vario should be able to grind much finer... Have you tried adjusting/recalibration?
    https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/learn/videos-home/ask-the-experts/baratza-vario-burr-adjustment

Advertisement