Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Franchise Structure

Options
  • 06-09-2015 2:16pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So what are peoples thoughts on the league structure this season?
    Remain the same as always or some sort of change to try to reduce cpu games,just trying to gauge opinions
    Dicussion thread on topic from last season here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057269915

Also anyone thats voted in the poll could they just say so in the thread,thanks.

League Structure 4 votes

Tried and Trusted
    0% 0 votes
    Change it up
    25% 1 vote
    Don't mind either way
    75% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd vote to stick to the tried and trusted for now, but:

I think we'll have about 11 or 12 at the start and probably get to around 14 or 15 after Christmas when a few will inevitably get the Xbox One. It's not ideal I know, but I don't like the idea of a) the Super Bowl not being the pinnacle to aim for, b) the draft would be pretty worthless as CPU teams clock up seasons over .500 and humans get better picks, c) the fact that it greatly limits the teams that are available for selection and d) there's just no way that we'd be able to choose which conference to go for without too many people being unhappy considering we only have 11 players so far.

I know considering we only have 11 so far that there's no way of even getting 2 humans in each division and bare in mind that I haven't thought about this in any detail, but would there be some way of doing some random aspect to the draft or maybe something like Santry and Raoul did a few years ago where we have a choice of a few teams to pick to ensure an equal-ish split of teams across conferences/divisions?

Ideally we'd have no CPU teams making the playoffs but then you'd have at least 5 divisions with 1 human player which would give you double figure CPU games and lets be honest, it is hard to retain interest with that many CPU games. It's a tough one.

As an aside, is it just me or are the All-Pro games actually quite difficult against the CPU this year? I suppose we'll all eventually figure out how to beat the CPU soon enough which would be the counterargument to that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Paully D wrote: »
    I'd vote to stick to the tried and trusted for now, but:

I think we'll have about 11 or 12 at the start and probably get to around 14 or 15 after Christmas when a few will inevitably get the Xbox One. It's not ideal I know, but I don't like the idea of a) the Super Bowl not being the pinnacle to aim for, b) the draft would be pretty worthless as CPU teams clock up seasons over .500 and humans get better picks, c) the fact that it greatly limits the teams that are available for selection and d) there's just no way that we'd be able to choose which conference to go for without too many people being unhappy considering we only have 11 players so far.
    Not trying to sway the argument one way or another but just to pick up on your first paragraph I'd almost see the points you listed as negatives and this is just off the top of head.

We were in the same position last season where we only had 10 or 11 at the start and I think it was said or thought we get more in at Christmas when people made the switch but it didn't happen.Now last year there would have been a 360 league and with it also being the first year of the One on the market people switching would have been less likely but at the same time we still talking maybe's and if's for xmas time.

(A)No disputing the Superbowl should be the pinnacle but in the last madden it didn't feel like that.How I mean is for example in the season 1 playoffs while the NFC playoffs was fully loaded with human players,the AFC had 1 human player in the playoffs.Season 2 and 3 had another human on the AFC side when someone joined the league but was still potentially 1 to 2 cpu's games to make the superbowl.
    If it were a 1 conference system(not that I'm suggesting this is the solution),the Conference game would actually feel like the pinnacle,that whoever won it had to knock out human players along the way.

(B)Cpu would clock up better records and Humans would get better picks but wouldn't that actually make the draft interesting?
    Take our last season for example,picks 22 to 32 were human,gone is the excitement of someone who might have a top 10 pick,will they draft a stud or will someone come in with big trade offer in try and get it.
    Even as you move through the draft no'1 gonna be able to move up in the draft(well no big jumps) as everyone will be at the back in with their picks.

(C)It would greatly limit the picks but I that has its benefits,right now there's 14 teams rated 82 or higher everyone can take a very good team should they choose too(although ppl obviously can go with their favourites or ppl often take a team just to fill a division).
    But with so few players and so many good teams it kinda make something like a team draft order kinda pointless in a way.Someone who's at the bottom of the draft order won't have to worry about getting a poor team as there'll be loads of good teams left,also if using 1 conference(again not saying thats the answer) but it may bring a bitta strategy back to the team selection,like if you're picking mid to late draft do you pick the best available team or to you try and fill out a division maybe because you don't wanna be put in the same division to avoid whoever's coming after you in the draft

(D)Aye no way around that one

All very good points Perrin. You've swayed me towards the one conference option now (even though I know that wasn't what you were trying to do).

The one big thing which I'd be worried about is how do you determine which conference to go with, without (for want of a better phrase) pissing people off. I suppose you can never please everyone and it would probably just have to be majority rules, even if that's only by 1 vote? Personally, I think NFC would be much better from a Madden perspective but that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭tripperman

All very good points Perrin. You've swayed me towards the one conference option now (even though I know that wasn't what you were trying to do).

The one big thing which I'd be worried about is how do you determine which conference to go with, without (for want of a better phrase) pissing people off. I suppose you can never please everyone and it would probably just have to be majority rules, even if that's only by 1 vote? Personally, I think NFC would be much better from a Madden perspective but that's just my opinion.

A vote be the fairest way to do it, better to have a good run of human games then cpu games as in long term it could open up for more people to return to the league

Seems I messed up the poll,can't see who voted for what,can that be edited?
    It's not so much to see who voted more to pm someone's who hasn't voted as of yet.

As you say, ya kinda can't please everyone in our current situation.
    Probably would have to be majority but even looking at last years draft,only 2 or 3 people went for AFC teams(me being one just so that conference wasn't so empty).

• Advertisement

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Seems I messed up the poll,can't see who voted for what,can that be edited?
    It's not so much to see who voted more to pm someone's who hasn't voted as of yet,

Not sure if that can be done, if it can't be done for sure, why not do one of them polls like you did for the draft were you had sign your account name when you did it, also to save time could do vote for afc or nfc incase the first one passed, I know might be awkward to votes at the one time but it might make the wait for team selection that little bit shorter

tripperman wrote: »
    Not sure if that can be done, if it can't be done for sure, why not do one of them polls like you did for the draft were you had sign your account name when you did it, also to save time could do vote for afc or nfc incase the first one passed, I know might be awkward to votes at the one time but it might make the wait for team selection that little bit shorter
    Don't think it can,may just ask anyone thats voted just to say so in thread,don't have to say which way they voted and I'll pm whoevers left.
    Have the Team draft list here but wanna get this done first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

I went with Don't mind eitherway, because I wasn't around last season to know how it worked out.

I voted don't mind myself so thats 3 outta 6 votes accounted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭giffney1991

I vied change it up

• Advertisement

I voted to change it up,

I also voted change it up. The one conference idea does seem to be the best all things considered.

5 outta 6 accounted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

I voted don't mind as I was willing to go with the majority

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If we're doing a conference, we can always just random.org it, I suppose. I don't really mind which one we do at all anyway, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    I voted don't mind as I was willing to go with the majority

Ditto.

Presuming 9 of the 11 that voted in the other thread indicating they'd be playing this year are the only ones who voted on that poll, it looks like a change in structure is unbeatable and we can start to push on? I suppose a vote for AFC/NFC would be the first order of business?

Presuming 9 of the 11 that voted in the other thread indicating they'd be playing this year are the only ones who voted on that poll, it looks like a change in structure is unbeatable and we can start to push on? I suppose a vote for AFC/NFC would be the first order of business?

I suppose it would paully, gives us more time to look at teams we could be picking from

Is there anywhere else we could post to get a few more players, you think? Would Reddit even be worth a shout?

Knex. wrote: »
    Is there anywhere else we could post to get a few more players, you think? Would Reddit even be worth a shout?

It certainly wouldn't do any harm mate. Definitely worth a try, there's nothing to lose really.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »

I'll bump the Xbox and American football threads tonight just incase we might get a late sign up or two

It certainly wouldn't do any harm mate. Definitely worth a try, there's nothing to lose really.

I'll throw a thread up later on so and see if we can snag a few more folk

Read a few threads over there and people are reluctant to sign up until after the patch for CFM, so once that is out tomorrow, and more news etc filters through, I'll put the thread up in reddit looking for a few newbies from around these waters.

Since the week 1 update is out I'll set up the league over the weekend and send out invites for those that have teams selected...and keep away from those free agents.

Since the week 1 update is out I'll set up the league over the weekend and send out invites for those that have teams selected...and keep away from those free agents.

Snake draft for fa is it, are we setting a time limit on picks, last snake draft went on a good while,

tripperman wrote: »
    Snake draft for fa is it, are we setting a time limit on picks, last snake draft went on a good while,
    Snake draft with a time limit.

Actually I dunno if I'll be able to set the league up today since I'll be picking last and probably won't have a team.
    Might have to get our other Commis to do it :D

Advertisement