Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plots that just seem to get forgotten

Options
  • 06-09-2015 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Happens all the time in soaps.
    Reminded when after twentytwo years, Emmerdale managed to clear up that Eric Pollard actually didn't kill his wife.

Eastenders has this in spades. Archie's body went missing. It still hasn't been picked up, presumably because Larry Lamb has been doing other things. And also Sanjay was arrested for Gita's death, then Gita turned out to have gone out to Bristol or somewhere on some affair. And that storyline went nowhere. And wasn't Kathy supposed to be Sharon's biological mum, then that was dropped? And the "controversially stereotyped" Irish Beale relatives, (with Pat Mustard and Fr. Dick Byrne as father and son, despite a ten year age difference) haven't been mentioned since. There were Conor and his daughter who went over to Walford, and then they vanished in a warp.

And Linus Roache as Ken Barlow's long lost son in Coronation Street, with WilliamRoache's other younger son as the evil grandson, they've not been mentioned at all, even when Deirdre died. And also that Connors "baby swap" storyline, Michelle forgetting that her son was swapped at birth.

Dallas and Knots' Landing had that weird split when the "dream season" happened, though in Dallas, somehow "the amnesiac Jock Ewing impostor" storyline continued.

Benny in Crossroads vanished after putting up the fairy on the Christmas tree. Presumably, he's still up there.

Prisoner! had the Edna Pearson story curtailed for legal reasons.

Brookside had Clare Sweeney as agoraphobic, next episode she's in Tesco's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

this is what annoys me about soaps.
    I used to watch home and away in collage.
    the city was only a few hours away but when half the family went there to work , they never returned even when the mother died or sister was kidnapped

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Michelle in Corrie's baby mix up. Nick ' s personality change after the accident when he was evil Nick for a time.

Billy Mitchell being a teenager beater upper...remember Jamie? Dramatic change in a character.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Ann22 wrote: »

Billy Mitchell being a teenager beater upper...remember Jamie? Dramatic change in a character.

this one has been long forgotten by eastenders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Jimmy in emmerdale. Started out as suited and booted self assured businessman. Now is a bit of a bumbling idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Robbie and Callum robbing all the cars from Paul's garage. Never another word about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Fair City have so many of them, that's the only reason I watch it. Such a laugh.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

A while back, it looked like Eastenders was exploring an alcoholic storyline with Denise.
    She'd be guzzling copious amounts of red wine and her sister would be making comments but now, a few months down the line, it's been completely forgotten about!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mARKsv23

this is what annoys me about soaps.
    I used to watch home and away in collage.
    the city was only a few hours away but when half the family went there to work , they never returned even when the mother died or sister was kidnapped
    well it's all about the writing. i'd rather have a beloved character not return at all than have him or her recasted for the sake of continuing a story. it's unnerving for me to see another actor playing a character that was played by a different one originally. This happens all the time for U.S. soaps as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Fair City have no consistency in their storylines whatsoever, there are too many scriptwriters in the show and none of them talk to each other so a character might be shy and reserved from January to March then suddenly blossom into a party animal....

People with no jobs can rent 3 bed semis in the heart of Dublin, visitors from Chile announce they are over for a week then they are still here a month later with no money issues and looking to rent a flat.

A millionaires money is taken completely from his account and we are led to believe that he doesn't check his accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mARKsv23

Well those are soaps for you... it thrives on drama really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,135 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

fussyonion wrote: »
    A while back, it looked like Eastenders was exploring an alcoholic storyline with Denise.
    She'd be guzzling copious amounts of red wine and her sister would be making comments but now, a few months down the line, it's been completely forgotten about!

Did she hit Patrick also while caring for him after his stroke?

Advertisement