Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found an injured hedgehog

Options
  • 06-09-2015 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Today I cut the grass out back garden and having some beers with my mate and went for a smoke and noticed movement in the grass.
    Turns out to be a hodgeheg ( I know it's hedgehog but sounds funnier as hodgeheg) and he is dragging his back legs and rolling over a lot. I have an empty cage there which I put him in ( I've handled plenty of them in the past) and I've put fresh water in with him. Only gonna hold him till morning when I'm sober but I've no cat food or dog food and I know they love boiled eggs. Gonna bring to vet in morning. I may have cut him or hit him when I cut grass earlier and didn't notice. He has small bit of blood on legs. He's probably last years young. With eggs and water will he be ok till tomoro and he'll be indoors

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any update?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Poor little Gregory Gráinneog. Did he make it through the night? Slugs and snails are a thing they love to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You could also try contacting Dublin Hedgehog rescue ...

https://www.facebook.com/hedgehogrescuedublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

any update?

As Dodder was up till after 3 this morning, I suspect it will be a while before he surfaces. Plus, he'll probably be on the road getting the hedgehog sorted first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

As Dodder was up till after 3 this morning, I suspect it will be a while before he surfaces. Plus, he'll probably be on the road getting the hedgehog sorted first.

Well when ya have 5 year old and 9 week old babz in the house sleep doesn't come to often
    The little hodgeheg is doing fine and is walking about with just a slight limp. He's quite calm when I hold him aswell but still couldn't find where he is cut. Rang a lad who's mother is a vet and she's just gonna have look later on but he grand with his cat food

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Well when ya have 5 year old and 9 week old babz in the house sleep doesn't come to often
    The little hodgeheg is doing fine and is walking about with just a slight limp. He's quite calm when I hold him aswell but still couldn't find where he is cut. Rang a lad who's mother is a vet and she's just gonna have look later on but he grand with his cat food
    A farmer told me once if a beast is eating, he won't die. So hopefully hodgeheg will make it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Well done for taking him in, I hope he will be ok, but yes I do agree with an earlier poster, if he is eating he should be fine.

I'd say he thinks he hit the jackpot with all that cat food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I read once that some foxes have learned to kill hedgehogs by sneaking up behind them and snapping at their hind legs. They then can't roll up into a ball properly with a broken leg. Wonder if you one has had an encounter with a fox?

Anyway, I've had a couple of injured hedgehogs over the years and they are tough little animals, they recover from a lot of injuries OK. They do tend to be riddled with parasites (external and internal). If it is coughing/sneezing at all, it has lungworm and it need an anti-parasitic shot from the vet before being released.

Still don't know why he was limping but he's walking perfect and quite calm around us and is now back free in the back Garden
    Be wasting my time leaving out cat food as there's literally a swarm of feral cats in my area. Can't go out back without seeing one.
    Anyway here he is
    image_zps85v0b6v6.jpg

Finishing off the back garden yesterday and guess who popped out t say hello
    image_zpsjbkxgdxu.jpg
    Seems healthy and out looking for food but it was broad daylight.
    He must live under the shed
    Might leave a boiled egg everyday beside the shed for him

• Advertisement

Great to see he made it. But foraging in daylight at this time of year suggests a shortage of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Great to see he made it. But foraging in daylight at this time of year suggests a shortage of food.

x2 leave some cat food under shed for him. Great effort made, pity more people can't be the same!

Well for a while ive wondered why there was feck all slugs and snails about an now I know why but havint seen either in weeks so maybe he is running out if food

Well for a while ive wondered why there was feck all slugs and snails about an now I know why but havint seen either in weeks so maybe he is running out if food

Is he able to wander beyond your garden freely? Hedgehogs have a big range and travel quite a distance most nights to get sufficient food.

Is he able to wander beyond your garden freely? Hedgehogs have a big range and travel quite a distance most nights to get sufficient food.

We have a side entrance and cats do walk through the gate all the time so I'd assume a hedgehog could come and go as he pleases.
    I've not seen any of them around this year other than him and a baby I found in the park

2 very young hodgehegs came out from under the shed yesterday evening.
    Has me wondering because the one I found was a male of last years litter I reckon but these ones yesterday were definitely this years.
    Must be a nest under the shed. But my question is would the lad I found be the father of a litter or do hedgehogs mate for life? Would he even be sexually mature

Hedgehogs breed from their second year and don't form pair bonds. Only the sow raises the young.

Advertisement