Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony phones.

Options
  • 05-09-2015 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Not sure if this is even the right place to put this, if not feel free to move.

I bought a Sony Experia E4 a while ago and it is so frustrating.
    Maybe this is an easy fix but not sure.
    It is forever saying the the memory is full. The updates etc all go to the phone memory and I cant change it to go to the SD card, even though the card is practically empty.
    When I download an app, most of them only store on the phone. I only have the bare minimum of Apps (about 4), and all of them I use.

And the worst part is I cant download updates through the network it seems to only allow me to update via wifi.
    I have been through all the setting and cant seem to find anything to change any of these issues.

Does anyone have any advise (other then get a new phone, which is my next step)

I am on the three network (which I cant fault) it is just this phone. I had a Samsung before which I dropped. Instead of staying with Samsung, I tried sony (against everyones advise I do admit)

Thanks in advance

Comments

Regarding the saving to SD card, if you root your phone, you can set it so that installs automatically go there, as opposed to the internal memory.

You might have set it so that large downloads can only be downloaded through WiFi. This might be changed in browser?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Robbie32 wrote: »

It is forever saying the the memory is full. The updates etc all go to the phone memory and I cant change it to go to the SD card, even though the card is practically empty.
    When I download an app, most of them only store on the phone. I only have the bare minimum of Apps (about 4), and all of them I use.

And the worst part is I cant download updates through the network it seems to only allow me to update via wifi.
    I have been through all the setting and cant seem to find anything to change any of these issues.

Does anyone have any advise (other then get a new phone, which is my next step)

I am on the three network (which I cant fault) it is just this phone. I had a Samsung before which I dropped. Instead of staying with Samsung, I tried sony (against everyones advise I do admit)

Thanks in advance

Not sure if this is a consumer issue and it may be better suited to the Android devices forum.

Have you tried contacting Sony directly? Generally memory full errors refer to your phones internal memory rather than a Memory card.

If you go into storage setting you could try clearing the cached memory by clicking on it too.

Updates are normally large downloads and its normally recommended you use WiFi. However there should be something there to allow you to download them over the air also. Might be worth calling sony to see if they can shed some light on it.

A Google search might help you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

what size of memory does your phone have ?

you could try the "apps2sd" app.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Robbie32

Hi guys thanks for the replies. I will have another look at settings shortly see if I can find something there.
    Yeah the downloads are big files, but I am not always connected to wifi, but they still should be downloadable.
    You might be right about it being better suit in the android area, does the mod have to move the thread or can I?

Not sure what size the phone memory is not big, but the SD card is about 32 gb...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Moved to Android Devices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

It is forever saying the the memory is full.

I spent hours sorting out a friend's Sony E4 - because he wasn't advised in the store that it had only a 4GB internal memory - and yes the operating system had to fit on that 4GB - wouldn't mind but to make it worse - Sony installed so many apps!

The size of internal memory available for the user was less than 1GB:rolleyes:
    I believe that Sony have started selling an updated version of the phone with 8GB internal memory - but their operating system is now bigger also....

A lesson to learn, when buying a phone, ALWAYS ask what is the available internal memory on the phone, not the actual internal memory. It can be simply read from the Settings/storage menu. (Also, never ever go for a phone with less than 1GB of RAM;))

So, what i did to sort it was, install a clockworkmod recovery file, then find a ROM file and install that. Root the phone, then install "link2sd" which allows you to install apps BOTH on the phone and on the sd card. It might sound complicated, but it is not bad, just time consuming. There are tens of videos on youtube about it.

Thanks for that, D`Peoples Voice.

Sounds complicated, but I am sure its not so bad.
    Not impressed with Sony, so to save myself all that hassle and waste of time I think I will just get a new phone. Any recommendations, without spending a fortune???

Thanks for that, D`Peoples Voice.

Sounds complicated, but I am sure its not so bad.
    Not impressed with Sony, so to save myself all that hassle and waste of time I think I will just get a new phone. Any recommendations, without spending a fortune???

This is often an issue when you go for lower end android devices.

Loads of people are recommending the smart ultra 6 from Vodafone. Only €170 + €5 or so to get it unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Speaking for myself, I find it very difficult to take anyone's advice, they always seem so bloody emotionally attached to one manufacturer(OS) or another! Also, people have different preferences, some prefer better batteries, others better cameras, others better screen resolution so if ever asking someone their opinion, check to see what is important to them is important to you.

I will say that the difference between flagships and lower end phones has narrowed greatly. Several reasons for this related to improvements in stock Android, silicon chips and Google's introduction of minimum specs!

So, don't be afraid to go for a lesser-known brand.
    Whatever you go for, in 2015 I would not settle for any phone that does not have a minimum - RAM of 2GB[/list] - Internal Memory of 16 GB[/list] - Camera 8MP[/list] - Screen Resolution 1080p[/list] - Good Reputation for Updates[/list]

So, anything from the following would be a decent choice: OnePlusOne, Huawei Honor, Asus Zenfone 2, ZTC Blade (Vodafone Ultra), Xiaomi Redmii 2,
    And last year's flagship
    Motorola X (2014), Sony Z3(2014), HTC One m8(2014), Samsung S5(2014), LG G3 (2014)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You can switch off that warning by disabling the notifications in the Memory app.

And you don't need to root the phone, once you have a bit of space on the internal memory you can move most apps to the SD card.

My company supplied phone is only 8Gb but I've over 20Gb of stuff on the SD card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Not impressed with Sony,
    Any recommendations, without spending a fortune???

i'm not sure why you're blaming sony, you could have bought a phone with really small memory from any brand and the sony z3 is one of the best phones out there.

on a budget, i'd buy a 2nd hand oneplus one.

Thats true, but sony seem to pre install their phones with a load of apps and things that are not needed. And these apps cant be uninstalled. I would like to start with a blank slate and install what I need.

I know all brands do it, but there seems to be alot more on sony phones. And in the last year I have had a few different makes (HTC, Samsung and an I phone).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I dunno, I found Sony a lot cleaner than Samsung, I don't think I'd ever buy a Samsung because of the way their phones arrive out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Id have bought far more Sony phones down the years if it wasn't for the ridiculous volume limit with headphones in.

Seriously hoping they sort it out with the Z5 if not its the Edge Plus or the Note 5

Advertisement