Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting A Exemption

Options
  • 05-09-2015 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Okay so I was born in Lithuania,and I came to Ireland when I was 5 years old. Would there be any possible way to get any exception?

I'm currently in third year and I'm finding Irish very hard, But my biggest worry is when I'm older and I'd want to go to UCC and do a course I'd need Irish for it(Get a minimum grade of OB3).

So my most important thing is to get into the course. Would there be any for me to qualify for a exemption from Irish? Also doing Lithuanian as my third language wouldn't be a good idea for me for L.C.

Thanks for reading and hope you can help me out. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You will not get a DES exemption, so you will still have to go to classes, but you will get an exemption from the colleges since you were not born in Ireland.

Can you speak even basic Russian? It is only a two year course and is easy for native speakers. I'm not sure what you meant about Lithuanian not being a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 atfbc9rl0oenhv

Just curious what's the exception from the colleges called?(Would this apply to get into UCC/UCD/NUI) The reason I wouldn't think Lithuanian would be a good idea as I'm not particularly good at it. I do speak very basic Russian would you be suggesting it as a third language for the L.C?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have a look at the Russian past papers. Even I could nearly have a go at them and my Russian is very poor (like a Polish farmer was how a Russian teacher described my Russian - the cheek lol).

You could always get a short course in Russian to bring you up to standard and it will count as your third language. The NUI matriculation guide states:
    "All languages available in the Leaving Certificate and all EU languages are acceptable for this purpose."

The Russian exam is meant for Irish people who have studied it for two years and has an oral component, but the Lithuanian exam is meant for people who have a very high standard of written Lithuanian, so unless you've been heading home to granny every summer and reading high level Lithuanian, give it a miss, or get a number of high level revision classes.

Here is the information for applying for the NUI exemption (you don't need to do this until the year of your Leaving): http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/exemption.pdf (.pdf file) It would cover all the colleges you mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 atfbc9rl0oenhv

Thanks for the information really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Unless you plan on studying irish or becoming a primary teacher, I don't think you need to get a B3 in irish, you just need to pass it to study at UCC or any other university.

• Advertisement
Advertisement