Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solidworks PC Build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Well, I've been overthinking a pc build, so things came to a head during the week & I decided to push the button & get it over with. Some of the parts have been bought already (monitors, psu, gpu). Been lurking around the forum here a couple of weeks, but should have posted first.

It will be used for mainly Solidworks, Autocad & Virtual Machines. No gaming.

Is there anything I should change while there's still time to change the order with mindfactory?

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/qbhLRB

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€350.07 @ Mindfactory)
    CPU Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Rev.A(BW) 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For €36.94)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€144.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For €73.63)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For €73.63)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€107.23 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (€95.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: PNY Quadro K2000 2GB Video Card (Purchased For €161.29)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For €124.00)
    Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For €84.03)
    Case Fan: Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK 85.2 CFM 140mm Fan (€25.44 @ Mindfactory)
    Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM 59.1 CFM 120mm Fan (€13.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Monitor: Dell P2414H 60Hz 23.8" Monitor (Purchased For €170.49)
    Monitor: Dell P2414H 60Hz 23.8" Monitor (Purchased For €170.49)
    Other: Startech 5.25" Trayless SATA Hot Swap Drive Bay (Purchased)
    Total: €1630.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-05 02:10 CEST+0200

Just a note, i'm not sure what your intention is but the WD Green drives are slower, perfect for backups and media storage etc. but not great as a working drive.

I would imagine solidworks/cad could involve large read/writes so best to keep working files to the SSD.

Do you need the graphics card? Does it make much/any difference for rendering times etc.? Bit late now anyways as already bought

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Just a note, i'm not sure what your intention is but the WD Green drives are slower, perfect for backups and media storage etc. but not great as a working drive.

I would imagine solidworks/cad could involve large read/writes so best to keep working files to the SSD.

Do you need the graphics card? Does it make much/any difference for rendering times etc.? Bit late now anyways as already bought
    Hi, thanks for your feedback, I'll try to use the SSD for Solidworks & my OS, and use the WD Green for backups.

Yes, it is debatable about the graphics card, some people have had great results with consumer cards, I decided to play it safe and go for a card certified for use with Solidworks, I'm not sure but I think rendering & drawings are where the card makes the biggest difference, most modelling is cpu dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Hi, thanks for your feedback, I'll try to use the SSD for Solidworks & my OS, and use the WD Green for backups.

Yes, it is debatable about the graphics card, some people have had great results with consumer cards, I decided to play it safe and go for a card certified for use with Solidworks, I'm not sure but I think rendering & drawings are where the card makes the biggest difference, most modelling is cpu dependent.

I remember looking into it before, was very hard to find benchmarks for the improvement offered by using a graphics card, especially the professional ones. Lots of big claims though like 10 quicker than CPU rendering etc.!

Ah right, fair enough. I hear the integrated graphics on the new xeon processors is Solidworks certified, I would have went down that road, but the added expense of the processor & finding a motherboard with multiple display ports would have made it a lot more expensive.

From my research the K2000 is the same spec as the entry level K620, it is just from the previous generation, I'm not expecting it to win any records. I've seen the benchmarks with high end cards doing worse than the entry level ones, the only reason I went for that card is because it has 2 display ports & my monitors don't have daisy chain ports to use a K620.

If the computer performs well, I'll put that down to the i7, my main hope for the K2000 is that it is stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Just fyi you can get realview graphics to work with non certified gfx cards

• Advertisement

Interesting, thanks for your input Lu & Hal, I really bought into the whole display port thing. But you made me second-guess myself. It seems all three video connections on my motherboard are well able to display the recommended resolution on my monitors. So I might experiment with my system & see how it runs with integrated graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

I use a 780ti at home and I was also working with a k2000 on another workstation the 780 beats it hands down in both rendering with photo360 and heavy multi part assembly modelling but but personally I still think it's mainly down to the quality of the processor and ram

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

As a fact of the day, Quadro GPU's don't differ that much from their consumer counteroarts. Rather, they are chip binned, so only the best chips go into the cards. Of course, nVidia can charge for this, and they do.
    AMD does the same except they usually change the ports to include more HDMIs and DPs. Apparently the FirePro series can't be overclocked and rather come factory overclocked to their maximum potential, which I guess can save the user some time. I'm sure that nVidia most likely does the same.

Advertisement