Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

These Are The Voyages

Options
  • 04-09-2015 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

Just rewatching this finale of Enterprise on Pick tv channel.

I've decided that I do not accept it as canon.

What a load of utter horse manure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i think from the starting episodes with the temporal cold war it could be construed that the entire series was non-cannon. But tbh i liked Archer and i liked enterprise before it went all 9/11 and even when it did it was still fairly decent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I really enjoyed seasons three and four, the show was getting very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JamesTC

Just rewatching this finale of Enterprise on Pick tv channel.

I've decided that I do not accept it as canon.

What a load of utter horse manure.

Worst episode ever ......I did not even bother re-watching it when I did a run through of Enterprise recently, its manages to be worse than anything served up in Voyager (which I consider to be the weakest of the series) and just stinks of lazy writing, it is in essence a holodeck episode which are nearly always awful.
    It's a pity Enterprise got such a premature and ill thought out ending, as the first two episodes aside (would they ever feck off with the time travel stuff) season four was excellent .
    They should have just left it with the two part tera prime episodes and maybe come back to it later with a film to tie up loose ends (would have been better then the reboot we were served up)
    While Enterprise was a missed opportunity I think that it holds up quite well aside from that dreadful ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have to agree.. wasn't a fan of ENT anyway but this was an awful, awful episode never mind finale to a series

Still, the very very last bit was cool! Love the -D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Not only was it ****ing terrible, it also taints 'The Pegasus' epsisode too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

Not only was it ****ing terrible, it also taints 'The Pegasus' epsisode too

Yep. Riker was never ready to be Captain if he required a holodeck simulation to make a decision.

If it was supposed to be a love letter to ships called Enterprise an All Good things based in Ent, TOS and TNG would have been cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Have to agree.. wasn't a fan of ENT anyway but this was an awful, awful episode never mind finale to a series

Still, the very very last bit was cool! Love the -D

The first two captains sound dignified, whereas Archer sounds a bit clueless like Fry or Stimpy reading the words written in crayon on a big white sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I actually like Archer. That season finale though, horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The first two captains sound dignified, whereas Archer sounds a bit clueless like Fry or Stimpy reading the words written in crayon on a big white sheet.

I always did think something sounded "off" alright but Archer doesn't have the "gravity" to his voice of Picard or Kirk for sure.

It was a bit hard at first not to equate him to Sam from Quantum Leap, particularly when in the first season he's literally got Al (Dean Stockwell) as a bad guy nemesis.

But tbh i liked him, because of his flaws maybe - i think ye have to perceive him as being the first ever starship captain, not knowing wtf he's doing most of the time, whereas when Kirk, Picard and everyone else were made captain a lot of the protocol for bizarre situations had already been covered (one would assume in their training).

• Advertisement

But tbh i liked him, because of his flaws maybe - i think ye have to perceive him as being the first ever starship captain, not knowing wtf he's doing most of the time, whereas when Kirk, Picard and everyone else were made captain a lot of the protocol for bizarre situations had already been covered (one would assume in their training).

Exactly. In the show, this space exploration malarky was really new

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Sparko

I've only watched it once. I've watched season 4 a few times since and always stop after bawling at the way Terra Prime ends, that's the real end of the show for me. These are the voyages is a travesty and ruins what was a real standout season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I don't like how the show sometimes tries to give this idea when he's clearly not even close. Besides all the ECA transport ships all over the place there's also the intrepid and the triangular ship class that are clearly older than NX-01. Fair enough he's the first true deep space captain, but most of the nearest couple of dozen light years must be fully explored and travelled regularly by then.

Fair enough he's the first true deep space captain

Well that's the angle I watch it from, & what the writers are trying to portray too. Of course there were previous captains, but not this far out etc. It's the first warp 5 ship, & is exploring areas totally new to man at that point.

I don't like how the show sometimes tries to give this idea when he's clearly not even close. Besides all the ECA transport ships all over the place there's also the intrepid and the triangular ship class that are clearly older than NX-01. Fair enough he's the first true deep space captain, but most of the nearest couple of dozen light years must be fully explored and travelled regularly by then.

I dunno, how soon after Cochran developed the first warp engine did they begin to explore? How much information did the Vulcans give them (if any)on trade routes and nearby settlements/species/civilisations? Did they do it themselves? Or were the 5 year missions precisely for those reasons? - I'm theorising but i'd say the likes of the hubble telescope or whatever it's counterpart in ST is would have spotted a few earthlike worlds (like it has irl) and either spoke with the Vulcans about these systems/planets and set up trade routes/traffic to them prior to exploration vessels like the NX01 even being built.

Could also be as simple as trade routes to Vulcan - meeting other species there and getting whatever info they needed to trade on other worlds and with other species

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

I rewatched 'The Pegasus' episode recently and at no point in that episode do I ever remember Riker and Troi being attacked by the space virus that caused them to age the 21 years they were when they were checking out the NX-01 crew on the holodeck.

Advertisement