Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outrage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Ugh, couldn't agree more. Sure let's take out anything remotely offensive to anyone from comedy shows, nobody will laugh but sure nobody will be offended.

Sure I'm adopted, but do I give a monkeys about jokes about adopted people? Nope. If it's funny, it's funny. Irrespective of my situation. Most of these people will trundle along and laugh about jokes about other races, cultures, stereotypes but god forbid you come close to their situation.

Reminds me years ago of when Tommy Tiernan did his routine on people with down-syndrome. He ran the material past Down Syndrome Ireland first and told it to volunteers and those suffering with down syndrome before he ever presented it and they told him that they loved it, were happy to be included, were tired of being seen as the elephant in the room and relieved that people could finally see that they could laugh at themselves too and enjoy comedy, much like other targets of comedy. He did all that before he ever told the jokes to joe public. But when he did? Oh the outrage of people who had no connection to the material and the rush to be offended. Made me furious.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Journalism has reached saturation point....the journal is full of amateur opinion pieces these days...people just writing for the sake of it

Advertisement