Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binoculars for glasses wearer

Options
  • 04-09-2015 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭

I would like to buy a new pair of bins for my self Xmas present(!)
    They would be primarily for bird watching,so 8x42 sort of size.
    They must have decent eye relief as I wear glasses.
    A friend is going to Boston in early December,so could source a pair there for better value.
    Spend say 200 dollars or euros.
    Anyone know what the best bang for my (quite small budget) buck could be.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

If buying in the USA, something like the Bushnell 8x42 Legend Ultra HD for about $200 would be fine. Most modern binoculars have twist up eyecups which make them suitable for glasses wearers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

If buying in the USA, something like the Bushnell 8x42 Legend Ultra HD for about $200 would be fine. Most modern binoculars have twist up eyecups which make them suitable for glasses wearers.

I see them at b+h photo for $192.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rhino1

Try folding down the rubber cups on normal binos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

rhino1 wrote: »
    Try folding down the rubber cups on normal binos

Yea as a glasses wearer that's what he would have to do anyway, but some binoculars will offer more eye relief than others. The higher the eye relief value, the better for the glasses wearer.

As for the OP's original question, at your price range you will get more bang for your buck from a pair of porro prisms than roof prisms. I have a pair of Nikon Action Extreme 8x40 and they are superb. Within your price range too, however as I don't wear glasses I'm not sure how good they are for the glasses wearer. As they are full sized binos though Im sure the eye relief is adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Yea as a glasses wearer that's what he would have to do anyway, but some binoculars will offer more eye relief than others. The higher the eye relief value, the better for the glasses wearer.

As for the OP's original question, at your price range you will get more bang for your buck from a pair of porro prisms than roof prisms. I have a pair of Nikon Action Extreme 8x40 and they are superb. Within your price range too, however as I don't wear glasses I'm not sure how good they are for the glasses wearer. As they are full sized binos though Im sure the eye relief is adequate.

And only $120!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

vandriver wrote: »
    And only $120!

Think I paid 120 sterling for them some time back. That's a great price you just quoted. Seemingly porro prism bins are cheaper to manufacture as they use less mirrors than roof prism bins so on the lower end of the price scale a porro prism pair are usually better than a similarly priced roof prism pair. I have compared the Nikons I have to more expensive roof prism ones and I think you would need to spend three times that amount to get a roof prism pair with comparable quality.

Advertisement