Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cramps

Options
  • 04-09-2015 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

hi guys
    Im a Masters swimmer and train regularly. Lately I have noticed Ive started having cramps in the pool, usually my feet, towards the end of the session, especially when doing fly training. Last night was a really bad cramp, in my calf. I noticed when I took off my swim cap and some water leaked from the swim cap into my mouth after training that it was very salty so Im guessing its something do with losing salts during training? I always drink water - plain tap water - during training. Should I start adding something to my water to preven cramping up during training?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Is there anything you have changed recently? Are you doing land training with weights maybe? Do you stretch before getting into pool? Are your sets of late working on your legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

thanks but no, no changes, nothing different at all, the only unusual thing I noticed was how salty the water was from my swim cap which I guess means I lost a lot of salt during my training which I guess casued the cramps. I think I will try using a gel and see how I get on....

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

banjobongo wrote: »
    thanks but no, no changes, nothing different at all, the only unusual thing I noticed was how salty the water was from my swim cap which I guess means I lost a lot of salt during my training which I guess casued the cramps. I think I will try using a gel and see how I get on....
    Has you daily work environment changed? Sitting at a desk more or a diiferent desk? Have you recently added cycling to your daily routine? At the end of the day cramp is a measure of tolerance to exertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Subscribing to this as I often get cramps in the arches of my feet & calves, especially after pushing off the wall/doing fly kicks. I have very flat feet and struggle with flexibility in my hamstrings/calves, so I have no doubt my problems are related to that. Subscribing to see any tips for dealing with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Well think of it when your pushing off wall, your exerting yourself full pelt pushing off wall, your stretching your calf and feet at full tilt, more so than your used to. Ankle flexibility or stretching before and afterwards is always suggested.

• Advertisement

mad m wrote: »
    Well think of it when your pushing off wall, your exerting yourself full pelt pushing off wall, your stretching your calf and feet at full tilt, more so than your used to. Ankle flexibility or stretching before and afterwards is always suggested.

Indeed, I am aware of that. My ankles are actually quite flexible (which has probably saved me from some additional knee/hip problems) and I do stretch. Thanks for the video though! :) Curious to see if things like extra potassium etc. might help.

FOr my last 2 swim sessions I tried taking a dossolved tablet in my water bottle, I bought it from Everlys, its some sort of electrolite tablet, early days yet but havnt cramped for these two sessions...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Zuz

Is not enough Iodine / magnesium.
    Had the same problems years ago when I did Triathlon competitions
    Good Luck

since I started taking these tablets Im fine. Did a tough session in the pool on Monday night finishing up with two x 50m fly sprints and I was fine, no cramping, and Im pretty sure that a few weeks ago, before I started traking the tablets, I wouldnt have been able to do these 2 fly swims at the end of a session without getting cramps....

since I started taking these tablets Im fine. Did a tough session in the pool on Monday night finishing up with two x 50m fly sprints and I was fine, no cramping, and Im pretty sure that a few weeks ago, before I started traking the tablets, I wouldnt have been able to do these 2 fly swims at the end of a session without getting cramps....

Do you have the name of the tablets? Must keep an eye out for them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Vegemite.

You can eat it, but it tastes like shit

It does help though.

gutenberg wrote: »
    Do you have the name of the tablets? Must keep an eye out for them :)

sorry for the delay in replying!
    The tablets I use are Kinetica Electro-C.
    Hope it helps, let me know how you get on with them!

sorry for the delay in replying!
    The tablets I use are Kinetica Electro-C.
    Hope it helps, let me know how you get on with them!

Thanks - I did a little rooting through the Elverys website, since you mentioned you got them there, and found a name. I found a very similar product that I can get cheaply here in the UK, and have found it useful - certainly my feet don't cramp as much as before, also when doing dryland exercises. I've also been taking magnesium, which has also helped.

Advertisement