Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van Morrisons Belfast Gig BBC NI tonight (Fri 4th) 22.35 & BBC 4 (sun 6th) 22.30

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭amandstu

Can anyone tell me why it is that Brown Eyed Girl is arguably his best song?

To be honest all that mysticism (in his other songs) turns me off completely at this stage even though it blew me away at the time (and I still love them aside from that mystic garbage ).

But that Brown Eyed Girl song has lost nothing. What is at that makes it so good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Suppose "Brown Eyed Girl" is a "Pop" song & other songs fall into all sorts of categories.... The Man has just produced so much varied styles... "Rolling Stone" Magazine have him @ 22 in 100 best songwriters of all time & his album "Astral Weeks" is always in top 100 in their "Best Album of all time" at the moment it's @ 19 in their "500 Best Albums of all time".... but he has other albums there too... He's no one hit wonder!.... & For an artist who make no real PR attempt to sell his wares?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-songwriters#van-morrison

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120531/van-morrison-astral-weeks-20120524

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭amandstu

What I meant is (not why it is popular-after all anything by Van Morrison is going to get a hearing) but why it is so good.

I don't think of it as a "pop" song but a "good" song

I like the directness and "been there done that" unpretentiousness of it but I can't put my finger on why it is so good apart from that .

Advertisement