Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cultivating Strawberries

Options
  • 04-09-2015 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭

I have made a bed for strawberries and I am using what looks like a woven plastic mulch to plant my new plants into.

The first impression I have is that ,when I water them the water seems to run off quite a lot (it doesn't seem to penetrate the mulch as much as I hoped)

Is this normal ? When the summer comes around next year will the plants dry out underneath or will it come good and allow the rain and hose to get through after awhile ?

Perhaps when the mulch is new it is more water repellent than later when it has weathered a bit...

For the past 2 or three years I have been trying to grow strawberries under a polythene(impermeable) mulch which was a disaster.

I don't want to repeat that experience and the garden centre did assure me that this mulch was in fact used by strawberry growers.

Should I expect to be using a hose with this stuff in hot weather or would I need to irrigate it from underneath with a leaky hose or some such contraption?

Advertisement