Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books and book voucher

Options
  • 04-09-2015 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi guys,
    So I'm starting nano-science in just over 2 weeks and am wondering how much (roughly) should I expect to have to spend on books?
    I'll be studying chemistry physics and maths so it'd be handy to know how much everything should approximately cost in advance if anyone could help shed some light!
    Also i got 595 points so i'm expecting a book voucher, how much is it worth this year?
    Thanks so much guys :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

The average textbook is usually about 50-60 x number of your classes

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

The Entrance Exhibition book voucher is €150 usually awarded in November

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Wait until you are a few weeks into term before buying any books. Have a look at the recommended ones in the library first before deciding to buy. Most of the time you don't actually need them, I didn't find the chemistry or maths books much use in first year (general science not nano but the chemistry/maths modules are the same). I didn't do physics so can't comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 zagaluke

They gave the physics book to us last year for free so you shouldn't have to worry about that if they do that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    Wait until you are a few weeks into term before buying any books. Have a look at the recommended ones in the library first before deciding to buy. Most of the time you don't actually need them, I didn't find the chemistry or maths books much use in first year (general science not nano but the chemistry/maths modules are the same). I didn't do physics so can't comment on that.

I just finished Nanoscience last May and second this opinion. In first year you shouldn't need to buy any books at all; the library has everything you'll need to start off. As you go further you might want to have your own copy which is fine, once you've had a look at the book in the library and know it'll actually be useful.

A good few of my classmates went out immediately and bought the books recommended by lecturers. They weren't much use and definitely not worth €70+ each. I kept my voucher and only used in 3rd year and 4th year when I had a better grasp on what I liked and needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement