Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving cert Biology vs Physics

Options
  • 03-09-2015 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hey :) im in the middle of picking my leaving cert subjects. I have to choose between physics and biology. Iv sat in on each class once and i have no real preference. I got a C in higher level science in my Junior Cert. I dont remember being particularly interest in physic in Junior cert or Ty, i do remember hating chemistry. Im not really mad about science either way but have to pick one. They both have there pros and cons like for example Biology is said to be the easier of the sciences and im not great at science anyway. physics is such a small class of 10 with a really good teacher and biology is a class of 25 or something with a really good teacher iv had before and had really good results from her class. I got a B in higher level Maths last year, and i got fairly good results in everything else so its not like my classes point to any subject in particular. I also got a b in higher level home ec and i know biology over laps a lot with it. I know the grades in past physics results where very high compared to Biology
    I probably wont do anything in the line of medicine, and will more likely do something in engineering in college.
    To be honest i just don't know what to do at all. I want a fairly manageable subject.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would go with the small class, if you don't have a personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Biology has the highest failure rate of the sciences. There is a lot of learning involved, while physics requires more understanding. None of them are by any means easy. The JC science course doesn't properly represent the sciences at LC level. Each one becomes much more detailed.

If you want to do engineering after school, physics would really stand to you when you're in college. Topics covered here provide a great basis for engineering courses. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Physics is definitely the most interesting subject compared to Biology. If you're inclined towards something like Engineering, HL Physics along with Maths is a must tbh. Also, is Chemistry also an option? I'm studying Physics in college and I'll have to do a Chemistry module, it's useful to have a second science.

Small classes are the best too, especially in a Science.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

sarah.m wrote: »
    hey :) im in the middle of picking my leaving cert subjects. I have to choose between physics and biology. Iv sat in on each class once and i have no real preference. I got a C in higher level science in my Junior Cert. I dont remember being particularly interest in physic in Junior cert or Ty, i do remember hating chemistry. Im not really mad about science either way but have to pick one. They both have there pros and cons like for example Biology is said to be the easier of the sciences and im not great at science anyway. physics is such a small class of 10 with a really good teacher and biology is a class of 25 or something with a really good teacher iv had before and had really good results from her class. I got a B in higher level Maths last year, and i got fairly good results in everything else so its not like my classes point to any subject in particular. I also got a b in higher level home ec and i know biology over laps a lot with it. I know the grades in past physics results where very high compared to Biology
    I probably wont do anything in the line of medicine, and will more likely do something in engineering in college.
    To be honest i just don't know what to do at all. I want a fairly manageable subject.

Well if you want to do Engineering and you're good at maths then Physics is a no brainer really! Having a good teacher and small class will be of huge benefit to you! Go with Physics in my opinion! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eoin12345

I was in the same situation in fifth year and went with physics. I enjoyed maths and thought it was a no brainer with the small class size but I ended up finding it extremely boring after the first few weeks and moved to biology. If you enjoy trying to understand new things then go with physics but if you are looking for an easy B and are prepared to learn off loads of information then go with biology. (There still is an understanding element to biology but most of it is common sense) if you are interested in engineering though physics would be a greater benefit to you. If I was in that position again I'd still pick bio over physics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Physics - did biology and really resented it. Course is way too broad and not enough time to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

I find parts of both of them pretty boring at times (ecology eughh) but if you've enthusiastic teachers it should make it better.. Personally I prefer studying physics because you get to practise actual questions which I find less painful than learning off reams of definitions.. Depends what kind of learner you are! If you've a decent maths head and if you're interested in engineering though I'd definitely recommend physics :)

Advertisement