Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chutney course, anyone know one?

Options
  • 03-09-2015 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

Does anyone know anywhere (preferably near Dublin, but anywhere in Ireland) that runs a chutney making/preserve course? I can't seem to find anywhere, checked the Ballymaloe site and they don't seem to run one either. The only ones I'm finding are in England! There must be one closer than that. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

I've never seen a course for chutney making but honestly, with a good recipe and perhaps looking on youtube if you really want to see it done, www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=making%20chutney%20youtube seems to have quite a few clips to watch, you shouldn't have any real difficulty. Good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

dave987 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know anywhere (preferably near Dublin, but anywhere in Ireland) that runs a chutney making/preserve course? I can't seem to find anywhere, checked the Ballymaloe site and they don't seem to run one either. The only ones I'm finding are in England! There must be one closer than that. Thanks!

Just find good recipes and go for it. How hard can it be? I make loads of chutneys. Sometimes I follow the recipe, other times I play around with the ingredients.

I made a banging beetroot chutney tonight; found the recipe on line. It's gorgeous.

Main thing is sterilize all your jars and lids. Then all will be well.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Main thing is sterilize all your jars and lids. Then all will be well.:)[/quote]

Totally agree with this. Chutney is like a good chilli as in it improves with time. I've jars from two years ago that taste delicious still.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dave987

Thanks, still want a course :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

• Advertisement

You're a star, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

St Brigid's Community Garden (Stillorgan, Dublin) put this up last week on their FB page:

"We are looking at doing monthly 'cook in' sessions in the community kitchen. Chutneys, preserves, fermenting and also traditional foods from countries around the world. It would be a weekday evening.
    Perhaps followers who are interested would give us an idea of times that would suit them. Great way of filling in the dark evenings and using up 'gluts' of veggies."

- so might be worth checking out if it's the right part of the country for you :)

Their page:
    https://www.facebook.com/Growing2gether?fref=ts

St Brigid's Community Garden (Stillorgan, Dublin) put this up last week on their FB page:

"We are looking at doing monthly 'cook in' sessions in the community kitchen. Chutneys, preserves, fermenting and also traditional foods from countries around the world. It would be a weekday evening.
    Perhaps followers who are interested would give us an idea of times that would suit them. Great way of filling in the dark evenings and using up 'gluts' of veggies."

- so might be worth checking out if it's the right part of the country for you :)

Their page:
    https://www.facebook.com/Growing2gether?fref=ts

Thanks very much for this, will check it out!

Advertisement