Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

android device for kids

Options
  • 03-09-2015 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I'm looking for help please on the best place to look for an android device for my 7 year old. She uses my phone a lot (note 4) so something a similar size would be most suitable. We have a 7" nexus, but find it too large for lets say just sitting down playing games, and I have a 10" tablet that's way too big. I want it to be cheap and cheerful, in that it can play game app's (from either play store or app-store), would love to be able to install kodi, and able to take pics and play music.

I was thinking of getting her a cheap pay as you go phone and just removing the sim card. Something like the Huawei Y625? Or is it better to spend the extra on something like the fire hd 6". Whatever I get needs to be able to have a strong robust cover that will save the device from the inevitable falls.

Oh, and I'd rather not go over the €100.
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

surely you know someone with an old S3 or something? They are still pretty good phones (I use one myself as a little media centre in the kitchen), stick Cyanogenmod on it, and a tiled launcher like WP Launcher, with that you can stick large size app icons on the home screen and it should be grand for what you're looking to do.

But really, is a 7" tab too big? My 16 month old son is able to handle and swipe around a Galaxy Tab 3.

Maybe a Hudl would be good for you, a little out of budget though.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Thanks for those links Baldy Conscience, i'll take a look. Its not the size of the apps on screen that I'm worried over, its the portability. Its a lot easier to carry and always have with you a 5-6" screen, as oppose to a 7". I know its a small difference, but for carrying everywhere, the smaller is preferable.

Would you believe I don't actually know anyone with a spare older phone - however, hubbie is well overdue an upgrade, so it may be better to get him to upgrade and pass on his s4 (although he's reluctant to change as he likes his s4!).

Thanks

Advertisement