Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any "pretend" races?

Options
  • 03-09-2015 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

So, I got a horse a while ago and was wondering if there are any tracks in Ireland (preferably south east) where I could go with a few friends and race. Not an actual competition, just a bit of banter!

Seen lots on Youtube but they all seem to be in England D:< Even seen the odd shire race! Anyway, if anyone can help, I thank you in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ayyyy Lmao

Also, I literally just joined, so please be patient if I err! Apologies if I have submitted this in the incorrect category ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'pretend races'. Do you mean somewhere you could gonfor a ride out with your mates, like a trail ride or charity ride? Or arebtoubrederring to events that take place on a race course? Or are you talking about something like sky racing? Maybe you could post a link to the YouTube videos you entioned?

Sorry about that! Sure, the link is below! What I was trying to say was that I'd like to go to a racetrack, and go for a gallop with a few friends. The videos I am talking about are at an event of some sort I'm sure, so there is a commentator, but I would prefer just a private gallop with a few of my friends! But at the same time, racing strangers would be fun... You see, my horse is part thoroughbred and loves to run but we have limited field space and so he can never reach his top speed and I feel this would be nice for both of us.

Umm, this kind of thing pretty much XD I'd prefer if it was something like training gallops where jockeys breeze the horses except, open to the public. I know, I'm probably asking for something non-existent, but better to ask than to be a fool forever!

It says I can't attach URLs because I'm a new user, so just put the h ttps://ww in front to go there :)
    w.youtube.com/watch?v=gO1pPV4Ygew
    w.youtube.com/watch?v=XLYgKy9T-hk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Some hunts organise races but usually involve jumping. there was a members only race at the point to point this year.

you could also enter something like the challenge rides. Scarteen hunt usually hold one. They are at the end of hunting season normally when the horses are fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

you can also bring your horse to gallops but wouldnt advise 'racing' other thoroughbreds unless the horse is fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

Are you refering to 'flapping'

Google flappling in ireland or stick it into youtube
    You will get the info you want

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Is this what you were thinking of?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fYXtec6KKow

Pretend horses are my favourite kind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

Why not bring the horse to a beach?

There's public gallops at the Curragh but I'm not sure if you'd be allowed to use them .Worth a call though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

If there was a pony racing meet close to you you could enter them for the local race,maybe a mile or a mile and 2.
    That would give you a good old spin especially some of the bendsbiggrin.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Racecourses only allow 'schooling' at certain times, and then it's restricted to horses in training. Likewise, there are gallops on the Curragh, like the Old Vic, but you have to book that and again, I *think* it's restricted to trainers as it has to be booked through the Turf Club. And I know riding on the Curragh plains is restricted in where you can go, so you'd need to check up on that.

There are, however, private gallops where you can book and pay to go, but they're generally quite narrow (maybe wide enough to fit 3 horses abreast) and most of them aren't built to facilitate 'flat out' work - most of them are designed to get horses fit rather than for speed. And, as fits mentioned, if you're going to do fast work you'll need to have the horse pretty fit to avoid injury.

• Advertisement

Yeah, pretty much exactly the answers I had expected unfortunately :/ Thanks a million to all though! Might be an idea to make a track myself one day and have the local riders have an ol' spin round the oval! XD

I'll probably just stick to the beach, seems like the best stretch I'll get. Thanks guys!

Advertisement