Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Further Education

Options
  • 02-09-2015 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Please forgive me if this is a silly question but I have contacted teaching council and I need help. I obtained my chemistry degree in 2001 and my doctoral degree in chemistry in 2012. Is it correct I do not need to do hip in further education as my degree was obtained prior to new regulations to teach in the sector. I want to teach chemistry. The teaching council say I can submit an application to register. I was about to start a dip in further education and I am concerned if it is wise to give up the place and just do teacher placement in school to build up experience in case I need to have to have dip later.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Elenorrigby

You need to have a pgde to teach in a second level school and you need a teaching council number to get paid.
    You would be subject to the new rules as you were not teaching in that sector at the time. You will be classed as a new entrant, as far as I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Emiedoo wrote: »
    Please forgive me if this is a silly question but I have contacted teaching council and I need help. I obtained my chemistry degree in 2001 and my doctoral degree in chemistry in 2012. Is it correct I do not need to do hip in further education as my degree was obtained prior to new regulations to teach in the sector. I want to teach chemistry. The teaching council say I can submit an application to register. I was about to start a dip in further education and I am concerned if it is wise to give up the place and just do teacher placement in school to build up experience in case I need to have to have dip later.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The requirements for further education changed a few years ago and you now need a PME or maybe some qualification in FE not sure about FE. I would keep my place if you really want to teach but be aware that is even harder to get into FE than post primary - in my experience anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Fairly sure you will have to get the DIP or an equivalent for FE. As far as I remember the amnesty was only for those teaching in the schools at the time, not for everyone who did degrees before the deadline

Advertisement