Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stupid question but need help

Options
  • 02-09-2015 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi guys doing a few basic double entry workout sheets, when doing my t ledgers I cannot understand why some accounts are closed by "statement of profit and loss" and why most will have balance c/f, balance b/f.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Hi guys doing a few basic double entry workout sheets, when doing my t ledgers I cannot understand why some accounts are closed by "statement of profit and loss" and why most will have balance c/f, balance b/f.

Some are revenue or expense accounts which start each period with a zero balance. Any non zero amounts are taken to the P&L at the end of the period. Others are asset, liability or equity accounts which are amounts on the company balance sheet. Here the opening balance in each period is the same as the closing balance in the previous period.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

Think of P&L as the amount you earned and expenses you incurred during the year
    Think of the balance sheet as the amount of stuff you have at the end of the year.

At the beginning of 2014, you had €5,000 in the bank. and nothing else of value, and no loans..
    During 2014, you earned €30,000. Bought a car for €10,000, and paid rent of €6,000.

P&L 2014
    Salary €30,000
    less rent €6,000
    Profit in 2014 €24,000

Balance sheet at 31/12/2014
    Car
    b/f 0
    + additions €10,000
    c/f €10,000

Bank account
    b/f €5,000
    + salary €30,000
    - rent €6,000
    - Car €10,000
    c/f €19,000

Total assets €29,000

bottom of balance sheet bit
    opening €5,000 (everything you had at the beginning of the year)
    plus your Profit for year €24,000
    total assets €29,000 (everything you had at the end of the year)

Advertisement