Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two watches for c. €750

Options
  • 02-09-2015 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi all

I am trying to build a bit of a watch collection and have about €700-750 which I want to spend on two watches (appreciate some people would try to say spend it all on one but maybe next year I will buy a more expensive single piece).

First I am looking at this Steinhart and would probably be hard convinced to choose something else - http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/OCEAN-1-BLACK,14.html.

Secondly I would like something a bit dressier, smarter, slimmer. Brown leather strap and white or light simple face - something like this but in the sub €400 bracket - http://frederiqueconstant.com/watch-finder/classics/classics-index-fc-303v5b4/

All recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭steokeogh

Look at a U.S. Company called "watch station" . You can use "my us" to get a U.S. Address and have them shipped over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Can't go wrong with the Seiko SARB line:

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-japan-82/seiko-mechanical-automatic-watch-sarb035-1856.html

700f8a7a_4843075366_85551c0ec2_b.jpeg

Pic not mine, but after googling it I now really wish it was

Tissot Visodate might be gettable sub-400 too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If it were my money, I'd go with this for the dressier watch

http://www.melbournewatch.com.au/flinders-white-dial/

blogger-image--152541173.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Can't go wrong with the Steinhart IMO.

For the dress watch, Orient might be an option too.
    http://www.ablogtowatch.com/orient-dress-watches-best-budget-option/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Love that Seiko ghostchant. Too small for some though at 37mm.

The Steinhart Ocean one is a great watch and they seem to hold their value exceptionally well so you could flip it easily enough if you got bored with it. The Ocean GMT with the pepsi bezel is stunning also : i87.photobucket.com/albums/k122/Neverok/Sharpening1.jpg

Another very nice and affordable diver is the Seiko SNZH53K1 which you can pick up from Amazon UK for about £160GBP. Lot of guys doing the fifty fathoms mod with this one which can look really, really good. Bracelet is crap though so you'd have to factor in the cost of a quality strap or a few NATOs.

If I was in the market for a dress watch I think I'd go for the Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic in rose gold. $649 from Amazon.com but you'd have to allow 25-30% if you get caught with customs fees.

• Advertisement

Love that Seiko ghostchant. Too small for some though at 37mm.

The Steinhart Ocean one is a great watch and they seem to hold their value exceptionally well so you could flip it easily enough if you got bored with it. The Ocean GMT with the pepsi bezel is stunning also : i87.photobucket.com/albums/k122/Neverok/Sharpening1.jpg

Another very nice and affordable diver is the Seiko SNZH53K1 which you can pick up from Amazon UK for about £160GBP. Lot of guys doing the fifty fathoms mod (i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab215/jazzgtivr6/IMG_0953.jpg) with this one which can look really, really good. Bracelet is crap though so you'd have to factor in the cost of a quality strap or a few NATOs.

If I was in the market for a dress watch I think I'd go for the Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic in rose gold. $649 from Amazon.com but you'd have to allow 25-30% if you get caught with customs fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Exchange rate is a bit crap at the moment, but there could still be good savings to be had.

If you get your timing right, Amazon could be worth a look and get it delivered to your hotel.

Tissot on Amazon.com

Tissot on Amazon.co.uk

About 2/3rds the price in the US.

Here's another option (liable for customs though)
    DJ05001W_MED.jpg

A few nice possibilities on watchshop.com

On a related note I will be in the States / Canada next month. Should I wait until then to buy?

The Tissot is nice but £235 GBP for a quartz watch seems ridiculous. Look very carefully at the pics too - the watch for sale is a Tissot Tradition but some of the pics are of the more expensive (and automatic) LeLocle

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

I'd hold your horses a bit - where you start in this game is not necessarily where you end up. Trust me.

If you'll be in the States soon then you should be able to try quite a few things on and it's surprising how many watches that you've lusted after are quite different or disappointing when you get them in your hands. I would definitely try to find somebody selling Hamiltons while you're there as these seem to be very readily discounted - a friend of mine went to New York a few years ago and was being offered 50% very early on in the conversation (happily this was also during the time when $2=£1).

Seiko SARB (JDM meaning Japanese Domestic Market - Seikos for the home crowd) is definitely a good shout and I believe the Yen is quite weak at the moment (though you should take into account that almost all shipments from Japan seem to attract the attention of various national customs authorities).

Personally I'd be looking for 2 watches for €500 and keep the rest as contingency for when you want to trade up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Another option would be a vintage dress watch from the 50's or 60's. They tend to be smaller than today's watches though. Seiko from the 70's would be a good size as well.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I ended up buying three!

Always liked Mondaine design but they are a bit pricey in Ireland, the Seiko is a nice diver and the Tissot is the kind of design I wanted. Will start saving for a more expensive dress watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

ghostchant wrote: »
    Can't go wrong with the Seiko SARB line:

I'm selling my Sarb 35....
    Was/am going to put up some photos over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

I'm selling my Sarb 35....
    Was/am going to put up some photos over the weekend.

Sorry, didn't realise this was an old thread and don't mean to hijack it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

I ended up buying three!

Always liked Mondaine design but they are a bit pricey in Ireland, the Seiko is a nice diver and the Tissot is the kind of design I wanted. Will start saving for a more expensive dress watch.

So I will ask the question......did you come in on budget :)

Looks like you spread your money well to get 3 nice watches. I think the Mondaine will be my next purchase too.

gucci wrote:
    Looks like you spread your money well to get 3 nice watches. I think the Mondaine will be my next purchase too.

gucci wrote:
    So I will ask the question......did you come in on budget

Yes! About €450 actually but I was able to have them shipped to a US address (free shipping and no customs) and will collect when I am over. Great value I thought.

Advertisement