Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Pay - Comission

Options
  • 02-09-2015 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm looking for some maternity pay advice please.
    I was on maternity leave a couple of years ago and, because I am in sales, my employer paid me while I was out - commission on my sales that were there. I also received a payslip each week.
    This time I'm on maternity leave I have not been paid any commission on my sales nor have I received any payslips since I went out.
    Can you give me any advice whether, as they did previously, am I entitled to receive the payment again and also am I entitled to payslips whilst I'm on maternity leave?
    Any advice would be appreciated as this is getting very stressful!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I'm looking for some maternity pay advice please.
    I was on maternity leave a couple of years ago and, because I am in sales, my employer paid me while I was out - commission on my sales that were there. I also received a payslip each week.
    This time I'm on maternity leave I have not been paid any commission on my sales nor have I received any payslips since I went out.
    Can you give me any advice whether, as they did previously, am I entitled to receive the payment again and also am I entitled to payslips whilst I'm on maternity leave?
    Any advice would be appreciated as this is getting very stressful!!

What does your contract say? What did your employer say? How do you receive commision on "your" sales if you are not involved in the sales while on leave?

Employers are not required to pay employees during maternity leave, you are entitled to register for maternity benefit with DSFW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Spitfire123

davo10 wrote: »
    What does your contract say? What did your employer say? How do you receive commision on "your" sales if you are not involved in the sales while on leave?

Employers are not required to pay employees during maternity leave, you are entitled to register for maternity benefit with DSFW.

My contract doesn't say anything about maternity leave.
    I sell in advance, yearly clients, so I would input the sale at the start of the year and get paid weekly on this. So my sales are still running even though I'm not in the office.
    Would there not be a precedence set when I got paid this before? A colleague just returned from maternity leave and she was paid Comission while she was out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

My contract doesn't say anything about maternity leave.
    I sell in advance, yearly clients, so I would input the sale at the start of the year and get paid weekly on this. So my sales are still running even though I'm not in the office.
    Would there not be a precedence set when I got paid this before? A colleague just returned from maternity leave and she was paid Comission while she was out.

Ah, I see, I'm stumped, does that mean that while you are off, there is no one doing your job/looking after your clients? If your sales are a year in advance, does that mean all your work for this year was done last year and you will have six months less sales next year as a result of being off this year?

davo10 wrote: »
    Ah, I see, I'm stumped, does that mean that while you are off, there is no one doing your job/looking after your clients? If your sales are a year in advance, does that mean all your work for this year was done last year and you will have six months less sales next year as a result of being off this year?

Yes, they are being looked after by someone, usually they get a small extra % for doing this and this would be docked from my % while I'm out. That's what happened with my colleague.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes, they are being looked after by someone, usually they get a small extra % for doing this and this would be docked from my % while I'm out. That's what happened with my colleague.

Have you asked your employer whats going on?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Have you asked your employer whats going on?

Ya but keep getting fobbed off.
    Just wanted to know my rights if there is a precedent set, can I take it further?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ya but keep getting fobbed off.
    Just wanted to know my rights if there is a precedent set, can I take it further?

You'd probably need to get legal advice tbh which you won't get here

I have worked in companies who changed their maternity policies, one went from full pay when on maternity to nothing at all, companies don't have to pay it , and in that instance I've described people who had gotten full pay previously didn't under the new policy

Advertisement