Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone overheats and battery drain

Options
  • 02-09-2015 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and the battery isn't great. I have it less than two years I think, and as far as I can remember I have had the same problem for most of time I've had it.
    It gets extremely hot, up to 50/51 degrees celsius at times (an app tells me this) and the battery drains very easily. If I take the battery out and let it cool down, the battery percentage will usually increase. If the percentage gets to around 30%, it goes down very quickly after that (this include when it doesn't overheat). Sometimes it just shuts off at 20%.
    The warranty on the battery is only 6 months and when I went into the shop where I bought it a long time ago they said there probably wouldn't be anything they would do as it was out of warranty. I think the rest of the phone has 24 months warranty.
    I am an average user, but always have the screen down low, wifi and 3g off when I don't use them, shut everything off.
    Does anyone have any advice?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Uninstall all apps you can for a couple days. See if it persists. Then install the ones you need back again, but only one or two at a time to figure out which is causing overheating.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Have you tried installing a program like Clean Master? It shows which apps are running and can shut them down, it also has a CPU cooler option. I've found it very good, it's free so it might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

If you have updated to 5.1 there is a known issue with a memory leak keeping the cellular radio on and the phone awake. My Z3 battery is much worse since installing.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Thanks for the replies! I have downloaded Clean Master so hopefully that will help. My phone is rooted (someone else did it) and I don't know how to undo it or change it so I don't have any of the updates on my phone. Earlier it dropped 14% in about 5 minutes :( I had just started to use Chrome on it but I don't think it would usually drop so quickly.

Advertisement