Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Decent Price on a 2nd hand i3

Options
  • 02-09-2015 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭

There's a 2014 i3 BEV up on pistonheads in the UK at the moment with all the options specced.
    Advertised at £24,650 which is pretty much exactly the same as the base price of a new i3 here.
    Between €0 and €300 VRT due depending on which revenue office you talk to.
    But a good deal if you don't want to wait 12 weeks for a new i3, and you want all the toys! :D

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/f30-3-series-post-12/bmw-i3-i3-i3
    2014/4648218

Comments

Good fun car, at that price would be great, just a bout 1K cheaper than a new Mid spec SV leaf but a lot more fun to drive.

Has it got the battery heater ? if it does then should charge faster than the Leaf in really cold weather from the fast charger, but there are a lot less CCS fast chargers than ChaDeMo for the Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭highdef

That's over 33.5k when converted into Euro....a bit steep for such a small second hand car, IMO. But if you can afford it and you want it, then all's good in the world :-)

Crap didn;t see that was UK pounds LOL ! In that case it is rather expensive !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Crap didn;t see that was UK pounds LOL ! In that case it is rather expensive !

It's pretty much exactly the same price as a new base i3 (which costs €34k without even DC charging fitted) after importing and number plates... but you are getting more than €10k of options on it in exchange for a year off the 5 year warranty and 5,000 km of mileage.
    Has it got the battery heater ?

Yup! All i3s have the battery cooling system but it looks like it has heated seats fitted as an option, any i3 with heated seats gains the heating pad for the battery as well. All i3s built after December 2014 have heated seats and the battery heater as standard.

I suppose anyone looking for a new I3 then it's a good deal if only 5 k miles on the clock.

• Advertisement

I suppose anyone looking for a new I3 then it's a good deal if only 5 k miles on the clock.

only 3k miles :D

cros13 wrote: »
    only 3k miles :D

Even better. Now if you could only lease it in Ireland for that price.

Actually , a PCP on a new I3 would probably work out a lot cheaper over 3 years if you intend to change again in that time.

I'm not really a fan of spending large sums of savings on a car or getting a bank loan for the full amount of the car, probably if I intended to keep it I Might say different but at least PCP gives you 3 years to think about it.

But that is a good price for only 3 K miles and 10 K euro's worth of equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭Soarer

Would that i3 not be liable for vat seeing as it has less than 6k miles?

Also, how could the vrt be €300 when it's vrt exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Soarer wrote: »

6k Kms. So yes it should be liable for vat. Not exactly going to be easy to do the old extended road test to get there either.

Technically... but you can run up 1000km easy.

It's not exempt. The VRT exemption for EVs was removed several budgets ago (the minute practical EVs became available) and replaced with a €5k credit. My i3 had more than €10,000 of VRT on it before the credit. The VRT on this specific vehicle is between €4,900 and €5,300 depending on which office you talk to. After the credit that means €0 - €300.

The reasons I had to cancel my Model S order was that it suddenly acquired a €15k VRT bill after the credit, wasn't eligible for the SEAI grant because the model and dealer need to be registered for the scheme and then on top of all that Tesla added a €15k surcharge to RHD models.

I still see "motoring journalists" in the Irish press talk about VRT exemption in EV reviews. Combined with having no home charging while they are reviewing the car. unlike...you know.... anyone who actually bought the car... paints them as completely clueless.
    6k Kms. So yes it should be liable for vat. Not exactly going to be easy to do the old extended road test to get there either.

Why? It's only 1000km away from the 6000km. just take a trip down to London or across to NL. Done those routes myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭stesaurus

If it's below the 5k limit then you pay for it less vat in UK.
    I had to do that before on my old Abarth

s.welstead wrote: »
    If it's below the 5k limit then you pay for it less vat in UK.
    I had to do that before on my old Abarth

Less than the mileage limit?

So if someone was so dishonest, they could buy a car under the mileage limit, claim the vat back in the uk, drive it home and pass the mileage limit, then not pay vat on this side?

Less than the mileage limit?

So if someone was so dishonest, they could buy a car under the mileage limit, claim the vat back in the uk, drive it home and pass the mileage limit, then not pay vat on this side?

No you pay the difference in VAT between here and the UK to revenue with the VRT. Easier just to "take the long way home" and be over the 6000km at the VRT inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

Easier just to "take the long way home" and be over the 6000km at the VRT inspection.
    I hear Scotland is beautiful :)

Good price for a nice spec. Interior is also nice. I had fun with a BMW i3 BEV for a weekend. I hate the way the car has grown on me!! Was partly sad to get back into my beloved Zoe..

No you pay the difference in VAT between here and the UK to revenue with the VRT. Easier just to "take the long way home" and be over the 6000km at the VRT inspection.

But how would they know you claimed the vat back in the UK? And why would you be paying vat on this side since the car has over 6k kms?

Just to clarify:
    I buy a car in the UK with 5,500kms.
    Claim the VAT back from the UK.
    Drive the car home.
    Register and pay the vrt on the car that now has 6,100kms.

When I did it a few years ago I had to fill in some form, think VAT 411 and the dealer sold the car to me less UK VAT amount. Then I had an Irish VAT bill along with VRT when I came back to register the car. The Irish VAT was higher than UK also.
    The dealers I spoke to were very skeptical about it all but as long as they have that form filled in they'll be fine with it. If you can convince them you're genuine.

Now as far as going over the limit on the drive home and it no longer being a 'new' car then anymore, I've no idea if they have any kind of check in place. I'd imagine they don't and you probably could get away with it but I never chanced it.

Advertisement