Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily jobs with baby

Options
  • 02-09-2015 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm a first time mother and looking for some advice, I'm slowly getting back into some sort of normality but I have a few questions, I look after my baby nearly all of the time as my husband works 12 hour days, 6 days a week and don't have any family around to help really, just wondering how people manage with things like dentist appointments, going to the beautician, hair dressers and normal things like that, is it ok to take my baby with it to these things or should I try to get someone to mind her? I just feel like I don't have anyone I can ask and keep putting off doing all these things, I know I have only one child so I don't even know how people manage with more children and little support, I guess I'm asking how people manage to do all the normal jobs and chores when minding a baby alone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Congrats on your new baby.

I know some will disagree with me but I think that a small baby is so portable.

Work appointments around your baby's feeding schedule and have appointments in baby's nap time bring baby in buggy and hopefully baby will sleep.

As baby gets older and is awake more then this gets harder.

Maybe try finding local mammy friends through your local mother and baby groups. Then you might meet someone who will mind yours and you can return the favour.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Nemecis

Hello, first time mom here, too, with a little or no help at all. When I have to go at a civil service, I always take him with me. When I want to go to a hairdresser, or nail salon, or beautician...thank God I have my sis, which is also his godmother, and they keep each other company. (hehe)
    When I don't have the help of my sister or mother or mother in law, I simply don't visit places that can't go with my baby. For example, nail salon is bad for the baby cause of all the chemicals, so is the hairdresser, if I want to dye my hair.
    In a month's time I'll be moving abroad, so I won't have help at all. No sis, no mum, no mother in law... But there's always the husband. I believe since we both "work", he can keep the baby for 2-3 hours in order to feel like a lady again :)

I use a mei tai in order to have my baby with me. I breastfeed him, without anyone notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I always brought baby everywhere, as someone else said they are so portable when they are that young. I had a caboo closer baby carrier and it was a godsend!

Used it to being baby to hairdresser, nail, beauticians, restaurants and even some Leinster games! I don't believe there are many places a little baby can't go, enjoy the freedom as much as possible, once they start moving!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Tiny babies are great. you can bring them everywhere. its when they start crawling/walking the problems start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

*chuckle* Or, in my experience, hairdressers and beautician appointments go out the bloomin window until children are old enough to go to school. This is why people get Mammy Haircuts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Bring them everywhere that young. My baby is now 7 months and going out is a bit more challenging but at that age you can bring them everywhere. I had a sling, buggy and car seat.

Anything I needed hands for I wore the sling, he even came to school and slept in it through two hours of practical accompaniment practises for my LC music students (yes I came in off maternity to play for them!).

Anything I didn't need hands for and that had space I brought the buggy, got my haircut (rang in advance to confirm space for buggy), out for lunch, small trips to the shops (sling was easier for actual shopping), walks etc.

The car seat is more limiting because of the time limits on it but it fitted on the chassis of the buggy and I could carry it over one arm when he was tiny so I would just carry it in for things like petrol station, popping into the butchers etc. Or if I was only going out for a short time and would fall within the 1.5hr mark including car travel I could pop it on the chassis

We were out with him to the local shopping centre at 3 days old well wrapped up in the buggy. Down to the west to visit family at a week old (with lots of breaks taken from the car seat). I knew I wanted to be able to get out and about. My husband only got a week off so we 'pratised' together for that week and it meant I was reasonably comfortable pretty quickly getting him in and out of buggies etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

You might find a local hairdresser who will come to your house.

I'd say dentists would be well used to people attending with their babies, and it's probably the most important appointment to keep up.

But if your husband works that much, it would be great if you could find a casual babysitter. All you'd need would be an hour or two to yourself every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I'd try to get someone to mind them speaking from experience of 3 I've brought all to appointments when they babies.
    They usually could be quietest little baby until your in the middle of getting the hair dyed and then they kick off!
    You won't Relax I'f your at dentist and if you constantly waiting for baby to start wanting your attention no matter what age they are. !!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Petal765 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm a first time mother and looking for some advice, I'm slowly getting back into some sort of normality but I have a few questions, I look after my baby nearly all of the time as my husband works 12 hour days, 6 days a week and don't have any family around to help really, just wondering how people manage with things like dentist appointments, going to the beautician, hair dressers and normal things like that, is it ok to take my baby with it to these things or should I try to get someone to mind her? I just feel like I don't have anyone I can ask and keep putting off doing all these things, I know I have only one child so I don't even know how people manage with more children and little support, I guess I'm asking how people manage to do all the normal jobs and chores when minding a baby alone

Similar to me except mine also travels and I have 4.
    I rarely go to the dentist unless it is an emergency..I have brought kids with me or had him work from home for a few hours,beautician and hair appts are few and only when there is a big occasion but I have also brought them with me.
    I brought my 1st everywhere with me,to meetings,to clubs to everything.
    A good sling is amazing too,I didn't get a good one until #3 and #4 has had all the slings!!
    Check out your local toddler group.
    I knew no one around us when I had #1 and then moved to a new area where I knew no one again and now that I am here a few years,I am beginning to get to know people.
    Feel free to pm me if you want to chat:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

livinsane wrote: »
    You might find a local hairdresser who will come to your house.

I'd second this! I've a great hairdresser/beautician, she can come to my house but I prefer to go to hers (no need for tidying up!) She's got a son close in age to mine, and her son is often there playing or watching TV while I'm getting my hair and nails done ... I haven't brought my son yet, but I know she'd be fine with it if I did, the two of them could distract each other! Oh and the cost is a fraction of what it would cost in a professional salon (and she'd fully qualified and does a brilliant job, can recommend to anyone in D15 if interested!)

In general though, whenever I'd appointments when my son was a lot younger, I just asked when making the appointment if there was room for a buggy. Luckily I'd a baby who slept a lot when out and about, or who was happy to sit quietly and look around when he was awake.

It could be helpful to "practice" getting out a few times first by just going shopping, or for a coffee, so that you get used to what works best for you (full buggy or just carrying in the car seat, or using a sling.) And make sure you have a fully stocked nappy bag equipped for every eventuality!

By the way, others have mentioned not bringing a baby to a hairdressers/beauticians because of fumes ... honestly it wouldn't be a concern of mine so long as the place was well ventilated. It's only for a short period of time, and I'm sure they're exposed to as much fumes when out and about in the buggy on a busy footpath etc. It's a personal judgement call though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Can you leave her with your partner while you go to your appointments? My partner makes appointments near my office and drops the little guy into me while she is getting whatever done. He just hangs out here with me for an hour or 2 so she can do her things in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If you've no back up, you'll need to organise things like hair appointments, dentist on a day when your partner isn't working, be it a day of annual leave or the one day off they have. I'd be looking into a babysitter for an occasional afternoon though. Everyone needs a bit of time off, be it someone who goes out to work or a person who's at home all day with a baby. I also think you need to know there's someone you can call on in an emergency. Do you go to any parent and toddler groups and get to know other parents who might help out for an hour and then you take their child in return?

Advertisement