Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panel saw

Options
  • 01-09-2015 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi'
    I'm looking at getting a panel saw. Needs to be single phase and my budget is about 2k. It'll mainly be used for ripping and cross cutting 8x4 sheets. Jet and record brands if I was buying new seem to be my options but just wondering what peoples opinion on a second hsnd machine be??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

They have rather small tables and would be awkward to straighten solid timber if you ever had the need.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

woodturner wrote: »
    They have rather small tables and would be awkward to straighten solid timber if you ever had the need.

What do you mean by a panel saw in this regard?

Does he not mean a table saw?

How do you straighten solid timber?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

What do you mean by a panel saw in this regard?

Does he not mean a table saw?

How do you straighten solid timber?

I'm referring to the Record and Jet saws. They are both on the small size. They are good saws but if you're going to be cutting a lot of 8x4 sheets a larger panel saw with a 3 metre sliding arm would be more beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Personally, if I wanted to cut sheet goods all day long I'd get one of those vertical panel saws with a Festool saw inserted.
    See the offerings from www.sagetech.co.uk which start at about 2K sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 davidwoods

Cheers for the replys. Yea I've seen those vertical saws , they look a great bit of kit but it seems to take alot of time to set them up. With a panel saw you would have a kitchen ripped and crosscut in less then half an hour. I'm hoping a decent second hand one come up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Just make sure you get a belt driven saw - not one with a blade on the spindle. You can of course make outfeed tables for ripping ( if you have the space ) and a sliding table is pretty well essential for crosscutting.

Advertisement