Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copmpany Doctor

Options
  • 01-09-2015 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I tore ligaments in my knee back in 08 and damaged them again in late Februaru this year. The incident in February also caused a mechanical blockage in my knee.
    I've been out sick since (going absolutely bonkers and derperate to get back to work but also terrified that I'll hurt myself if I go back too soon) and I have to say that my employers have been very understanding. We have 10 different managers, and every time I call in (it's a shop) they tell me not to rush and to look after myself.
    Company policy means that I now have to go to my GP as directed by the company doctor and have him fill out a questionnaire. I also have to fill one out. While I have no problem going to my doctor to have this done, I feel like the company/doctor that this questionnaire is trying to catch people out:
    "These patients are either bed bound or exaggerating their symptoms"
    "To avoid you having any 'surprises', if you wish we can send you a copy of the occupational health opinion regarding your state of health with respect to employment two days before it is sent to your employer"
    The funny thing is that I tried to ring my store manager yesterday before I got the letter to tell him that I want to try and come back at the end of the month, and now I feel like it will look like I'm just saying this because he wants me to go to the company doctor, and that I'll look like I've been milking it (even though I'm only officially off my crutches two/three weeks).
    Any advice on what I should do from personal experience or anything? I honestly just don't want to look like I've been hamming on for the extra time off :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

I should also add that I have been in and out of the fracture clinic in the hospital as well as in physio in the hospital since it happened. I had physio yesterday and my physio was happy with the time frame that I gave for going back to work because my main problem is pain while walking and standing and this job usually requires a lot of walking/standing, and he wanted me to give more time to build up the muscles in my leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Why not try and get a letter from your doctor and physio to state they don't think you should go back to work for another X weeks.
    It proves you're undergoing necessary treatment while validating your return date as non-coincidental.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Your company are entitled to ask you to attend the company doctor.

Is that what they are doing? Your OP is a bit confusing

Stheno wrote: »
    Your company are entitled to ask you to attend the company doctor.

Is that what they are doing? Your OP is a bit confusing

It's not the company doctor, it is my GP as the company doctor is actually in London

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Skintwin wrote: »
    Company policy means that I now have to go to my GP as directed by the company doctor and have him fill out a questionnaire. I also have to fill one out. While I have no problem going to my doctor to have this done, I feel like the company/doctor that this questionnaire is trying to catch people out:
    "These patients are either bed bound or exaggerating their symptoms"
    "To avoid you having any 'surprises', if you wish we can send you a copy of the occupational health opinion regarding your state of health with respect to employment two days before it is sent to your employer"

So is your issue the assessment possibilities that are on the form, such as the statement above about exaggerating your symptoms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

From being on the other side of the request, sometimes it's to scare someone who has been taking the p1ss with the sick pay into coming back, but if your managers are being as sound as you say, then chances are they are looking for a rough estimation of when you will be back.

So is your issue the assessment possibilities that are on the form, such as the statement above about exaggerating your symptoms?

Well i have to admit that i don't like that, and the way that the form has been written/put together, but my main problem is that they'll think that I'm only coming back to work because they've referred me to the company doctor, which isn't the case. My main problem is that I really want to go back, but I'm terrified that I'll hurt my knee again just by moving stupidly or by trying to do too much too soon.
    I reckon I'll just go to the appointment tomorrow and explain to my GP that I'm still in a lot of pain, but eager to go back to work in a few weeks, I just want to be sure that I've given myself enough time to have my knee as strong as possible.

Well i have to admit that i don't like that, and the way that the form has been written/put together, but my main problem is that they'll think that I'm only coming back to work because they've referred me to the company doctor, which isn't the case. My main problem is that I really want to go back, but I'm terrified that I'll hurt my knee again just by moving stupidly or by trying to do too much too soon.
    I reckon I'll just go to the appointment tomorrow and explain to my GP that I'm still in a lot of pain, but eager to go back to work in a few weeks, I just want to be sure that I've given myself enough time to have my knee as strong as possible.

All they are doing is asking you to go to your GP and get him to complete a form for the company doctor.

I'm fairly certain your doctor is not going to put down that you are exaggerating your injuries, and will put a realistic timeframe on your return and given that the company doctor is in London that is the information that they will evaluate your case on.

It's normal procedure in a lot of companies that where someone has been out sick for a prolonged period of time that they refer the case to the company doctor.

Go back when you are ready, and dont' be worrying about how it looks, it's most likely there is timepoint in terms of the amount of absence that has triggered this request.

All they are doing is asking you to go to your GP and get him to complete a form for the company doctor.

I'm fairly certain your doctor is not going to put down that you are exaggerating your injuries, and will put a realistic timeframe on your return and given that the company doctor is in London that is the information that they will evaluate your case on.

It's normal procedure in a lot of companies that where someone has been out sick for a prolonged period of time that they refer the case to the company doctor.

Go back when you are ready, and dont' be worrying about how it looks, it's most likely there is timepoint in terms of the amount of absence that has triggered this request.

Thanks Stheno.
    I think it's around the 5/6 months mark that this happens. I just know that it's dragging on at this stage! I originally thought that I'd be back to work within 2 weeks! I'll hang on for another week or two before I decide on a date to go back. The last thing I want to do is to go back for a week and be out injured again for another 6! :)

Thanks Stheno.
    The last thing I want to do is to go back for a week and be out injured again for another 6! :)

Exactly, I'd a bad accident that wrecked one of my knees and was out for 4.5 months in total on crutches for four months in one form or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Stop worrying - it sounds to me just like company policy. A 6 month review if anything - just to get more certs & stuff as to why you're still out.
    Go easy on yourself. Even if by total coincidence you were ready to go back to work tomorrow, your doctor is the last word. They would need a cert to say you are fit to resume work. Sounds to me that you're not there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you being paid? That's really the crux of it

ted1 wrote: »

Not by my employers, I'm on social welfare illness benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ted1 wrote: »

Not any more it's not.

Employees out on unpaid sick leave now clock up paid annual leave during it.

I predict we will see some employers refusing to allow long term sick leave because of this.

Advertisement