Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay at home dad meeting other parents

Options
  • 01-09-2015 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey Folks, I'm a stay at home dad who does a bit of work from home while looking after our 18 month old. My wife works in Dublin and we bought down the country to be closer to the grandparents and to give himself plenty of space to run around.

Its great being able to stay at home with himself and while I do enjoy looking after him I am finding it a bit isolating at times and can see it getting worse over the winter when I can't bring him out as much.

I don't know very many people in the area at all and don't know where to go to meet people, especially since most things that are on seem to be outside of his sleep schedule, (it's like he knows).

Also, it seems to be more mums than dads that are around minding the kids if you know what I mean so that makes it a little more difficult, does anyone have any suggestions? I love him to bits, but there are times I just need an adult to talk to.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The notice board in your local community centre or public health nurse offices might have parent and child groups that you can join, and if you want to create one specifically for SAH Dads, I'm sure they'd be happy to encourage that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

My OH is not a stay-at-home dad per se but as he does shift work he is often at home with our almost 2 year old while I'm at work. He does the usual walks, playground, swimming but also uses a sling so he can go fishing/collecting bait with little man. Do you have hobbies that you might be able to keep up with a toddler in tow? That way you can meet people based on your interests rather than just being parents. I have a bicycle with a child carrier which lets me break out of the usual kiddie activites.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We have stay at home dads in our toddler group and one runs it atm.

Advertisement