Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

budget stereo shotgun mic

Options
  • 31-08-2015 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi all. I'm looking for some advice regarding a mic for my dslr. The camera is a nikon d3200. It's a cheap camera for what it is and I'm pleased with the video from it. It suits my applications well as I'm not looking for professional quality obviously, rather a good Base to learn techniques with.

My problem is the audio. I know that it's almost always a given that the in-built mic is atrocious. So I'm looking for a stereo mic that won't cost an arm and a leg.

I mainly record motorsports and other outside things like farming and nature. The in-built mic leaves engine note on cars and tractors very tinny, really drawing away from the drama and power insinuating noise they make in real life. I want at least a bit of the dramatic noises relayed in the videos. With the motorsport videoing, the subject would be approx. 100m away and heading past me.

Are the eBay mics any good? When I say budget I mean sub 50 euro. Or if I'm coaxed, 100. I can't justify any more tab that given the entry level setup of the camera and lenses.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

The Audio on DSLRs is usually bad and most cameras don't allow monitoring or level controls
    Its really worthwhile thinking about a separate audio recorder such as the Zoom recorders. That allows alot of flexibility not just for what you are doing. You can also use the audio track from your camera to match-up the audio tracks i post.

Having a separate recorder also allows for useful placement of it and mics attached to it. You'll find some of the Zooms reasonably priced now too

Advertisement