Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Year English class, new JC

Options
  • 31-08-2015 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have been given a 1st year English class on my timetable until at least the mid term. Have no experience whatsoever with the new JC and am a little lost as to what to do with them. I know the theme that I have to do with the pupils until the mid term but they have no standard text book and Im just feeling a little lost. Looked up the NCCS, PDST and junior cycle.ie and all that im reading on new JC for first years is jargon. Can anyone help a fretting teacher out ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

Hi,
    I have been given a 1st year English class on my timetable until at least the mid term. Have no experience whatsoever with the new JC and am a little lost as to what to do with them. I know the theme that I have to do with the pupils until the mid term but they have no standard text book and Im just feeling a little lost. Looked up the NCCS, PDST and junior cycle.ie and all that im reading on new JC for first years is jargon. Can anyone help a fretting teacher out ;)

Have you looked at the JCT planning materials & videos: http://www.jct.ie/english/english.php#planning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Oh thats more helpful than anything I have come across yet. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Hello! Another fretting English teacher who has fifth year this year! The school hasn't got any schemes of work to work off for fifth year so I'm at a loss. Could anyone provide me as to what they generally do in fifth year and how they go about their scheme of work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Hello! Another fretting English teacher who has fifth year this year! The school hasn't got any schemes of work to work off for fifth year so I'm at a loss. Could anyone provide me as to what they generally do in fifth year and how they go about their scheme of work?

I'm not an english teacher so I'm afraid I can't help but how in the hell are there no schemes of work? Last years at least should be in the subject folder. The school would have been screwed on an inspection!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

I do a month of 'Paper 1' work; language genres/writing skills. Some comprehension work/personal essays. In October I start the single text. (I would probably start this earlier if teaching a HL class). I do some more paper 1 work before Christmas (can't remember off the top of my head what's on my scheme - I think it's argumentative/persuasive writing.) Then after Christmas I begin the comparative (usually a film and a short novel which I try to finish before Easter). Finish the year with some poetry. That's a very rough outline of how the year tends to pan out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Thank you!!! I just wanted an idea of how to plan my year and this was a great help. It's an ordinary level class. Thanks again.

Can I ask some English teachers what their plan is for the year. beyond a different theme each term I am a little lost as to the structure I should follow for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

I'm not teaching first years this year, but last year I spent a good portion of the first term reading a novel with them (Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry). I then moved onto poetry (10 poems, as per specification), drama extracts (from their text book), media studies and creative writing.

Seeing as you're planning the year using themes, you could split into drama, poetry, creative writing and short stories that all deal with that particular theme.

Thanks. I have started on poetry with them which tbh I am regretting a tad now. Probably just do three then move on to something a bit more enjoyable for them.

Advertisement