Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lord Montagu RIP

Options
  • 31-08-2015 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

The man who made National Motor Museum at Beaulieu has died. I lived at the other end of Rollestone Road in Holbury as a child so went to the museum a few times back then. I'm sure quite a few here have made the pilgrimage down the years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yes good memories of going to beaulieu in the 80s. Well worth a trip I must get back some time. I'd say he must have been a fair age now and had a good innings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I see he was 88 and had quite a colourful past to say the least.

He inherited the estate at the age of 2 and by the time he was of an age to manage it he couldn't afford to run a big house like that on his cash inheritance of 1,500 per annum in 1952. So building a motor museum there and getting visitors in was a necessity and not just a great passion for the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

And his father commissioned the famous Rolls-Royce mascot "Spirit of Ecstasy" modelled on his mistress who unfortunately was killed a few years later (when she accompanied him on a trip to India) by a U-boat in WW1. That was 100 years ago.

Advertisement