Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a site in Galway

Options
  • 31-08-2015 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hello,

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place for my post, but I cannot find anything specific to Galway in Property forums. I believe a returning immigrants forum is pending.

I am currently living abroad and would like information on how to find a site for sale. Obviously, I have been keeping an eye on the usual websites, but I know there must be many more sites for sale than there are advertised via agencies.

I have also tried donedeal which I know has become really popular for free advertising. Does anyone have any suggestions where else I can look, short of actually taking a drive on my next visit home?

Looking for anywhere from Kinvara to Athenry.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hello,

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place for my post, but I cannot find anything specific to Galway in Property forums. I believe a returning immigrants forum is pending.

I am currently living abroad and would like information on how to find a site for sale. Obviously, I have been keeping an eye on the usual websites, but I know there must be many more sites for sale than there are advertised via agencies.

I have also tried donedeal which I know has become really popular for free advertising. Does anyone have any suggestions where else I can look, short of actually taking a drive on my next visit home?

Looking for anywhere from Kinvara to Athenry.
    Thanks!

Are you checking daft ie and myhome.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

There are some advertised on Daft & MyHome, as mentioned.

The thing about sites though is that many would be sold locally or through family or by seeing a nice field, finding out who the farmer is and going to strike a deal with him in person.

If your online searches are not bringing up anything, and you're not in the area, I would recommend putting an ad in the Connacht Tribune saying "Site Wanted in the area of Athenry, Craughwell, Ardrahan, Kilcolgan, or Kinvara".

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jc bamford

Finding a site in rural Co Galway is not as simple as it used to be. Long gone are the days when you could find a site " by seeing a nice field, finding out who the farmer is and going to strike a deal with him in person." The planning laws are now very restrictive even for local people in most parts of the county, and are almost impossible for people from outside the area. Many sites have conditions attached which restrict to whom they may be sold.
    You will need to look for a site "without planning restrictions"
    You might consider a derelict house to reconstruct. There are also some partly built unfinished projects started during the boom that might be worth a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

jc bamford wrote: »
    Finding a site in rural Co Galway is not as simple as it used to be. Long gone are the days when you could find a site " by seeing a nice field, finding out who the farmer is and going to strike a deal with him in person." The planning laws are now very restrictive even for local people in most parts of the county, and are almost impossible for people from outside the area. Many sites have conditions attached which restrict to whom they may be sold.
    You will need to look for a site "without planning restrictions"
    You might consider a derelict house to reconstruct. There are also some partly built unfinished projects started during the boom that might be worth a look at.

agreed i am noticing a lot more derilict houses getting renovated for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Look up the Galway Advertiser, there's usually ads for sites for sale.

http://classifieds.advertiser.ie/other-items/?p=3

• Advertisement
Advertisement