Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyway to protect the shrews in my garden?

Options
  • 31-08-2015 10:59am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've lots of shrews living in my garden, and unfortunately the dogs seem to enjoy catching them. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Not really an option to stop dogs being in their own garden!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Cover, cover and more cover. bushes, long grass etc. I find admonishing my dog stops any behaviour like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Don't cut your grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Put some little "tunnels" of logs and stone slabs etc. (that dogs and foxes, cats, owls cannot get under)

A traditional "log pile" is a great home for small mammals:

http://www.lost-in-france.com/images/myblog//71/the-log-pile.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

some great ideas thanks, the longer grass doesn't help as my two dig through it no bother. I like the idea of the 'hotel' though, must build something like that when I reorganise my veg garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

angeldaisy wrote: »
    some great ideas thanks, the longer grass doesn't help as my two dig through it no bother. I like the idea of the 'hotel' though, must build something like that when I reorganise my veg garden.

Don't get too caught up on a log pile sorting the problem. Shrews are primarily solitary and don't congregate under a stack of logs. Grass and hedgerow cover is where they will be most of the time.
    I still think dogs can be easily trained not to kill small mammals and would be a worthwhile experiment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement