Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to save tooth? Broken on one side

Options
  • 31-08-2015 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,
    I have a molar with a very large filling and it seems as though the tooth is breaking down on one side only. One side of the tooth seems to have broken down to the gumline yet the filling is still intact and no signs of cracks. The tooth feels weird as if the filling is too high and a little sore where it has broken down.
    I want to save this tooth but a root canal and a crown is within a more affordable price range than implant.
    Does it sound like the tooth is possible to save? I am terrified of losing the tooth as eating will be a struggle, and I am not sure how the loss of this tooth would affect the others.

Any advice, and or experiences, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

JJEP wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a molar with a very large filling and it seems as though the tooth is breaking down on one side only. One side of the tooth seems to have broken down to the gumline yet the filling is still intact and no signs of cracks. The tooth feels weird as if the filling is too high and a little sore where it has broken down.
    I want to save this tooth but a root canal and a crown is within a more affordable price range than implant.
    Does it sound like the tooth is possible to save? I am terrified of losing the tooth as eating will be a struggle, and I am not sure how the loss of this tooth would affect the others.

Any advice, and or experiences, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Visit a dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JJEP

galljga1 wrote: »
    Visit a dentist.

Well I've been there a few times and not much support in terms of what to do next. I'll have to talk to an endodontist. That's why I'm posting this! Thanks anway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

That's happened to me a couple of times - those big molar amalgam fillings done years ago left the bit of outer tooth not so strong. Anyway. On the couple of times it's happened to me I ended up getting a crown. It was always the route in my case - both times it wasn't a completely broken tooth, just a chunk broken off one side exposing the filling.

Well - that's my experience of it.

coffeepls wrote: »
    That's happened to me a couple of times - those big molar amalgam fillings done years ago left the bit of outer tooth not so strong. Anyway. On the couple of times it's happened to me I ended up getting a crown. It was always the route in my case - both times it wasn't a completely broken tooth, just a chunk broken off one side exposing the filling.

Well - that's my experience of it.

Cheers for that. Yeah did yours break down to the gum? Was it an expensive procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Well I've been there a few times and not much support in terms of what to do next. I'll have to talk to an endodontist. That's why I'm posting this! Thanks anway

are you in constant pain? if you're unhappy with your dentist, then go elsewhere, but going straight to an endodontist over a broken filling is overkill.

• Advertisement

are you in constant pain? if you're unhappy with your dentist, then go elsewhere, but going straight to an endodontist over a broken filling is overkill.

They seem to think everything looks ok. Pain is not bad but it's more sore where a bit of tooth keeps breaking off. I just want to get tooth capped so I can keep it in my mouth for another few years at least and terribly anxious about even eating on it now.

then tell them what you want. an endodontist won't help you getting a crown though.

Cheers for that. Yeah did yours break down to the gum? Was it an expensive procedure?

I'm not sure how broke it was - I know that the dentist thought a crown was my most permanent option. I didn't stall going to a dentist when I broke that molar, my thinking was that once the casing of that big amalgam filling was broken, more could break off easily. I was in no pain at all. It was the same thing when it happened the second time to a different molar.... And the third time! Bless those big fillings I got in the 80s!!
    Each molar crown cost about 800e. I went to my own dentist, I'm not into going to a dentist abroad that I don't know to save a few hundred - that's other peoples' solution to save some euro.

You mentioned an endodontist? I've never been to one of them. It's the dentist who saw to all my crowns.

coffeepls wrote: »
    You mentioned an endodontist? I've never been to one of them. It's the dentist who saw to all my crowns.

I will have to get it root canalled as the nerve will more than likely die with anymore dental work. It's a complete nightmare to be honest; Endodontists are the ones to do that.
    My main concern is that if they can still save it if a portion of tooth has broken down to the gum.
    I'm cleaning good and trying to prevent other teeth from forming cavities. No point in getting a crown if the tooth just going to need extraction a little down the road

• Advertisement

I will have to get it root canalled as the nerve will more than likely die with anymore dental work. It's a complete nightmare to be honest; Endodontists are the ones to do that.
    My main concern is that if they can still save it if a portion of tooth has broken down to the gum.
    I'm cleaning good and trying to prevent other teeth from forming cavities. No point in getting a crown if the tooth just going to need extraction a little down the road

Ah right. Well I'm afraid I've never had root canal work done. I'm no help to you!

that's not a given, and an endodontist worth their salt will do as much as they can to prevent it from happening as much as a general dentist. go to your own dentist first, or another general dentist if you aren't happy with them.

that's not a given, and an endodontist worth their salt will do as much as they can to prevent it from happening as much as a general dentist. go to your own dentist first, or another general dentist if you aren't happy with them.

Will Definately have to go back. At least I'm not in agony which is always some comfort trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I dont understand how your current dentist, cant simply tell you straight out, what needs to be done. I have an excellent dentist I can highly recommend in Dublin, I can pm you details if you like OP. My advice though, would be do something asap, I messed around too long with a broken tooth and its gone from needing a root canal, to breaking completely and I either leave it or get an implant, which isnt cheap...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I dont understand how your current dentist, cant simply tell you straight out, what needs to be done. I have an excellent dentist I can highly recommend in Dublin, I can pm you details if you like OP. My advice though, would be do something asap, I messed around too long with a broken tooth and its gone from needing a root canal, to breaking completely and I either leave it or get an implant, which isnt cheap...

I feel you pain there. It's getting to the stage now where I'll just have to get it removed to be honest. By the time I'll have the money for the crown and root canal it may be too late. An implant would be the best option but it's so unfortunate they don't offer payment plans as it's pretty heavy to expect all that money up front. Especially for one tooth as extraction always seems like a much quicker and cheaper option, however the long term result of having a missing tooth is never good! I'm not in Dublin but thanks for the offer.
    My dentist doesn't seem to very informative of what I need to get done to save tooth. It's just a matter of they fill it and come back if you are in pain. I will have to go about it myself and hope it doesn't get any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

my molar on the bottom on the right hand side cracked in half and the back came off. The dentist was able save it with a root canal. Its been fine for the 10 years since. If your dentist isnt giving you any answers then find a new dentist. If you are dublin city based i can recommend the dentist i use. PM me for his name.

Advertisement