Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Tripod/head for birding scope?

Options
  • 31-08-2015 8:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Thinking of investing in a decent tripod & head for my birding scope - current one old, battered and a bit creaky !
    Any recommendations from birders in the forum. Haven't won the lotto yet so won't be going top of the range stuff yet, just wondering about a dependable user friendly kit - carbon fibre v aluminum/alloy - I know the carbon tripods feel very light - are they as sturdy as the heavier aluminum ones in gusty/ windy conditions ? Was looking at some Manfrotto stuff online - any good ?? What's the best type of head for scoping ?
    All views welcome - PM if preferred.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

One of the most common tripod heads for scoping is the Manfrotto 128RC liquid head. They are relatively cheap and very easy to adjust/use.
    http://www.connscameras.ie/p/manfrotto-128rc-mini-video-fluid-head/8024221029666

Des

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Sherpa 200R.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Desmo wrote: »
    One of the most common tripod heads for scoping is the Manfrotto 128RC liquid head. They are relatively cheap and very easy to adjust/use.
    http://www.connscameras.ie/p/manfrotto-128rc-mini-video-fluid-head/8024221029666

Des

I have two; last seawatch I was on, maybe a quarter to a third of people had them.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Hope it's not too late to bring this thread back to life.
    What head type who people recommend for a scope. I see Conns is getting lots of mentions so will ask there also.
    The Manfrotto is about €100 for the head only and the Shreppa 200R sells for about €100 complete.
    Any comparisons would be welcome.

Of course we'll have to upgrade the scope next so go easy on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

What head type who people recommend for a scope. I see Conns is getting lots of mentions so will ask there also.
    The Manfrotto is about €100 for the head only and the Shreppa 200R sells for about €100 complete.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Being the OP on this thread, the outcome of my search was to go with the Manfrotto 055 3 leg aluminium tripod and the Manfrotto head detailed above, the (128RC)
    Best price for combination was €287, from Amazon. Well satisfied with performance of both so far ! I also know a birder who uses the Sherpa gear and swears by it so either set up should see you right !

Advertisement