Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alternating between hungry baby formula and regular formula

Options
  • 30-08-2015 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi, I have an 11 day old baby and I put her on hungry baby formula after about a week as she was having 9 x 90ml bottles a day from the minute I started formula (she was breast fed for about 6 days). She didn't seem to want more than 90ml at a time so I put her on the hungry baby formula instead of increasing the amount in each bottle. It was fine for a few days but now I'm thinking it's a bit much for her during the day i.e finishing her feed after 40 or 60 ml and wanting more an hour later.

I'm looking for someone that is knowledgeable in this area to advise me if I can alternate between the 2 types of feeds - i.e hungry baby formula for some feeds only and the remainder the regular formula.

I was and am feeding her Hipp Organic only.

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Stop giving hungry baby formula, it is not necessary. Babies that young feed on demand, not rigid schedules and not rigid amounts. Either breastfeed or feed normal formula, not hungry stuff. All babies are hungry. That hungry stuff only clogs them up and is too heavy for their little bellies. Your baby is only 11 days old, wanting a feed every hour is not unusual. I was breastfeeding my baby non stop at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

There is a growth spurt around day 10, it is recommended that you just give an extra ounce as demanded.

It is not recommended to keep switching formula. I would talk to the health nurse maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Just follow your baby's lead. If she is hungry, feed her. If not, then wait. Agree with the above, no need for the hungry baby formula, it just takes longer to digest and can lead to constipation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Stop hungry baby and stop switching formula. If baby is draining the bottles add extra oz. If baby isn't then feed as you are and as they need jt. Your baby is too young to be trying to get her on a schedule, they settle themselves over time

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

just use normal formula for now,go talk to your phn if you are worried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

From what I remember, hungry baby formula is moreso used say between 4-6 months, if you're holding off until 6 months to start solids (as recommended by WHO) and if your baby is really not satisfied with regular formula in the usual amounts. There is absolutely no way I'd consider giving it to a baby under 2 weeks old! Just give the regular formula, on demand.

By the way, is she taking a soother? It's possible she's looking to feed for comfort rather than hunger, a soother may help with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Hungry baby formula is not recommended at all anymore, I remember speaking to my PHN about it last year when it seemed like my little lad was very hungry. Turned out he wasn't hungry he had reflux, reflux symptoms can manifest as hunger.

Not saying your baby has reflux but stop giving hungry formula and just start feeding your baby on demand.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

A baby stomach is teeny tiny at this stage. Some need feeding every hour, baby is way way too young for hungry formula. Afair its not recommended at all, and I'm nearly sure I read somewhere that "hungry" baby formula only exists in Ireland and UK

newborn-stomach-small.jpg?w=624

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

As above, stop with the hungry baby formula, it's completely unnecessary. Breastfed babies don't have hungry baby breast milk, they just feed for longer, so adding an oz to a feed. The HB formula is so hard to digest and can cause constipation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Had a weigh in earlier this week and due to the massive jump in weight I think the nurse was worried we'd been feeding too much and mentioned the hungry formula and said not to use it. We had given one bottle of it a while ago when that was all that was left on the shelf in the shop, but just been sticking to the regular stuff.

Had a couple of months of constant breast feeding, but now we are mostly onto bottles all the time. Much happier baby as they are getting a good feed, and much happier mummy as she is getting time that is not all feeding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement