Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple of Rules questions...

Options
  • 30-08-2015 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Hi

Playing a recent Medal competition, strokes, when I hit a tee-shot that went through a tree hitting a few leaves on the way, but I was reasonably certain I seen it pop up so I didn't bother with a provisional. Anyway, I walk down with my playing partners and it isn't immediately where I thought it was so one of the lads I was playing with suggested I run back and hit a provisional (as the group behind were quite close all day) and they would keep looking, so to speed things up I did. Now I was only looking for 30-60 secs at this stage.

Anyway I tee off and as I'm on the tee-box one of my playing group shouts that they have my first ball about 15 yards away from where I thought it was...but a member from the group behind runs after me and says I can't hit the first ball as you can't hit a proviosnal once you've left the teebox?

2) There is a path that runs adjacent to a row of hedges behind a green. If my balls lands on the path, do I have to drop in the hedges (which is the side furthest from the green) or can I go on the "grass side" so long as its no nearer the hole and within the 2 club lengths?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Hi

Playing a recent Medal competition, strokes, when I hit a tee-shot that went through a tree hitting a few leaves on the way, but I was reasonably certain I seen it pop up so I didn't bother with a provisional. Anyway, I walk down with my playing partners and it isn't immediately where I thought it was so one of the lads I was playing with suggested I run back and hit a provisional (as the group behind were quite close all day) and they would keep looking, so to speed things up I did. Now I was only looking for 30-60 secs at this stage.

Anyway I tee off and as I'm on the tee-box one of my playing group shouts that they have my first ball about 15 yards away from where I thought it was...but a member from the group behind runs after me and says I can't hit the first ball as you can't hit a proviosnal once you've left the teebox?

2) There is a path that runs adjacent to a row of hedges behind a green. If my balls lands on the path, do I have to drop in the hedges (which is the side furthest from the green) or can I go on the "grass side" so long as its no nearer the hole and within the 2 club lengths?

Thanks
    1) He is correct you must play a provisional before you proceed forward to look for your original.

2) Relief from a path is rule 24-2 and it's your nearest point of relief no nearer the hole (note not 2 clubs lenghts), if that happens to be in a bush ectc so be it.

Edit to ask: If the group behind were close all day, why didn't ye call them through?, that's what your meant to do especiallly when you are looking for balls and running all over the place playing "provos" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

1) He is correct you must play a provisional before you proceed forward to look for your original.

2) Relief from a path is rule 24-2 and it's your nearest point of relief no nearer the hole (note not 2 clubs lenghts), if that happens to be in a bush ectc so be it.

Edit to ask: If the group behind were close all day, why didn't ye call them through?, that's what your meant to do especiallly when you are looking for balls and running all over the place playing "provos" etc.

1) any link to this as I'm struggling to see it on the R&A
    2) My impression here was that you have to take "full relief" and can't do so from the middle of a bush.

Because we were stuck behind the two groups in front of us, and that was the only time we lost a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

1) any link to this as I'm struggling to see it on the R&A
    2) My impression here was that you have to take "full relief" and can't do so from the middle of a bush.

Because we were stuck behind the two groups in front of us, and that was the only time we lost a ball.
    1) Below is a copy and paste from RANDA, the important part is highlighted and underlined.
    27-2
    27a. Procedure
    If a ball may be lost outside a water hazard or may be out of bounds, to save time the player may play another ball provisionally in accordance with Rule 27-1. The player must inform his opponent in match play or his marker or a fellow-competitor in stroke play that he intends to play a provisional ball, and he must play it before he or his partner goes forward to search for the original ball.
    If he fails to do so and plays another ball, that ball is not a provisional ball and becomes the ball in play under penalty of stroke and distance (Rule 27-1); the original ball is lost.
    (Order of play from teeing ground - see Rule 10-3)

2) Correct if you take relief then you must take full relief from the object you are getting free relief from, if your nearest point of relief happens to be in the middle of bush then so be it. i.e. you are getting free reilef from the road not the bush, sometimes in those circumstances your best option is to not take the free relief as you may be worse off e.g. in a bush etc. and play the ball as it lies, i.e. off the road/path.

Fair enough if the course is choc a bloc, then the mention of the boys behind been close to ye all day in your OP is irrelevant, although good etiquette would still dictate that you call the crowd behind through especially if you have gone forward to look for a ball and are now waltzing back to play a "provo", that you should have played before you left the tee box to avoid this exact scenario, end rant/:pac:;).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

1) Below is a copy and paste from RANDA, the important part is highlighted and underlined.
    27-2
    27a. Procedure
    If a ball may be lost outside a water hazard or may be out of bounds, to save time the player may play another ball provisionally in accordance with Rule 27-1. The player must inform his opponent in match play or his marker or a fellow-competitor in stroke play that he intends to play a provisional ball, and he must play it before he or his partner goes forward to search for the original ball.
    If he fails to do so and plays another ball, that ball is not a provisional ball and becomes the ball in play under penalty of stroke and distance (Rule 27-1); the original ball is lost.
    (Order of play from teeing ground - see Rule 10-3)

2) Correct if you take relief then you must take full relief from the object you are getting free relief from, if your nearest point of relief happens to be in the middle of bush then so be it. i.e. you are getting free reilef from the road not the bush, sometimes in those circumstances your best option is to not take the free relief as you may be worse off e.g. in a bush etc. and play the ball as it lies, i.e. off the road/path.

Fair enough if the course is choc a bloc, then the mention of the boys behind been close to ye all day in your OP is irrelevant, although good etiquette would still dictate that you call the crowd behind through especially if you have gone forward to look for a ball and are now waltzing back to play a "provo", that you should have played before you left the tee box to avoid this exact scenario, end rant/:pac:;).

Thanks for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Thanks for the response.

Did they not change the rule this year that u can go forward a reasonable distance and then return to hit a provisional. Either way if u were looking for it once u hit the other ball it's the one in play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

2) 'free' relief is always one club length, when you take the relief yourself under penalty of one stroke you get the extra club length giving you two...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement