Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best route for mature student

Options
  • 30-08-2015 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hello I am interested in becoming an accountant which of the following would be best? ACCA, CPA, CIMA or ATI.

I am unemployed and looking at a nice pathway that will also lead to a diploma.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

Hello I am interested in becoming an accountant which of the following would be best? ACCA, CPA, CIMA or ATI.

I am unemployed and looking at a nice pathway that will also lead to a diploma.

Thanks

It comes down to what you wish to do career wise going forward.
    With an accounting qualification, you ought not to be concerned with a diploma. The accounting qualification trumps that.

You could consider a degree in business and finance, which may exempt you from some of the professional body exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

I did ATI, then onto year 2 of 3 of a degree, good to have the ATI I suppose but sorry now I just didn't do the degree. Started at 28, now 32 and all done. Got a 1.1 and start a training contract in 2 months. The ATI was probably a good base.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

I have the ati first year books actually? A cousin gave them to me didnt know they did degrees could I pm you for more info if ok

I have the ati first year books actually? A cousin gave them to me didnt know they did degrees could I pm you for more info if ok

Oh no it wasn't an ATI degree. I did ATI in Athlone and just transferred into the level 8 degree Athlone IT run.
    Yeh fire ahead!

Ah I see, well I was looking to do something part time only. As I seen on the CPA website that you do a certificate and them try entry into a 3 year traineeship under an accountant firm and then so exams every year.

• Advertisement

Ah I see, well I was looking to do something part time only. As I seen on the CPA website that you do a certificate and them try entry into a 3 year traineeship under an accountant firm and then so exams every year.

The firms usually require a 2.1 degree? Worth double checking that.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

The quickest and most flexible approach I would say is to do ACCA from start. Going the techician degree route takes longer.

Immy wrote:
    The quickest and most flexible approach I would say is to do ACCA from start. Going the techician degree route takes longer.

Was thinking that too, seems the most valuable qualification. Does it cost much would anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 hana123

Was thinking that too, seems the most valuable qualification. Does it cost much would anyone know?

You pay for the annual subscription (83 pounds), plus the exams (from 70-104 pounds per paper) and if you opt for lectures, that's another 750 euros per paper. It's costly when you'll shoulder all the fees on your own, but if you'll be able to secure an accounting role in a firm/any company, they normally pay for it.

Link for ACCA Ireland fees: http://www.accaglobal.com/ie/en/qualifications/accountancy-career/fees/fees-charges.html?countrycode=Ireland

What about self studying will that cost less ? I am going to do the foundations in accountancy qualification in November. My partners brother just passed his ACCA exams so he ll help me learn later on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I did a degree part time while working elsewhere which got me CAP 1 exemptions but more importantly a training contract which allowed me to complete CAP 2 and FAE. It is a long road to get qualified. It took me the guts of 10 years to fully transition into the role I wanted and it was a hard slog. In hind sight I would have done ACCA from F1 as it would have but a year or 2 of exams off.
    You could also consider going the tax route which doesn't require a training contract as such.

What is the tax route?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Don't do accountancy and just do tax via AITI. Personally I prefer the tax over accounting but that is just me. Tax qualification can be achieved in three years and does not need a training contract (ie 3-3.5 years experience). They are tough exams too though; at least on a level with ACA. Not sure if you need a degree or not before starting them but I can find out if you want.

Just had a quick Google myself, seems to require a degree. I have no problems taking long to do the ACCA foundation qualification. And just seeing how it goes from there as long as I don't have to spend too much that is

What about self studying will that cost less ? I am going to do the foundations in accountancy qualification in November. My partners brother just passed his ACCA exams so he ll help me learn later on

Yes, you can study on your own or do revision classes (half the price of full lectures) but you still have to pay for the exams and the annual subscription.

I think you're better off doing the professional qualification rather than the Foundations in Accountancy (Accounting Technician) as it's quicker though harder. Depends on how much time you can commit to your studies.

I did the Certified Accounting Technician (Foundations in Accountancy now) and quite regretted it as I could have just went straight to the professional qualification.

Foundations in Accountancy will only exempt you for 3 professional papers (F1-F3).

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

If its what you really want to do, why not wait and apply for a degree course for next year when the CAO opens in Jan/Feb.

I'm also a mature student and just started a degree in Accounting & Finance this week. I came up with a 10 year plan of where/what I want to be and this is the start of it. At the end of my degree I'll also have full CAP1 exemptions too

Would love to but haven't the money, I would not be able to funds for it nor be allowed for the back to education allowance on social welfare due to me being a qualified adult under my partners claim.

I had seen an online course funded by ecollege for certified accounting technician course.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

Switch over to your own claim? I think you only lose 2 days dole for doing it. Then you should be entitled to BTEA come next year and also your fees paid by SUSI

Switch over to your own claim? I think you only lose 2 days dole for doing it. Then you should be entitled to BTEA come next year and also your fees paid by SUSI

It's very confusing what If my partner gets a job before I were to start college? I think for now I will just apply for the first ACCA exam once I'm more confident with my progress thank you

Hi wanted update this got approved for certified accounting technician course on ecollege free for those on social welfare.

• Advertisement

Hi wanted update this got approved for certified accounting technician course on ecollege free for those on social welfare.

Great, best of luck! It would be a bit tough but it'll be worth it! :)

Advertisement