Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farrier relocating

Options
  • 30-08-2015 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there, I'm enquiring as to how much call there is for a good,reliable farrier in Ireland.
    My wife and I both love the country and lifestyle, I have a very good farriery business in England,shoeing competition horses, my apprentice is set to qualify next year and so towards the end of next year we may look to relocate if he is competent to look after my existing customers.We particularly like the east coast area (well my kids do)
    I was just enquiring as to how much call there is for farriers and what sort of price people are looking to pay- I'm late thirties so not looking to take over the world 4/5 sets a day would be lovely as I like to have enough time to do a proper job- not interested in rushing around- England has been very good to me and we would be sad to leave but our property is worth a lot at the mo so next year would be an ideal time to cash in and a move over the sea seems imminent
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

Exchange rate would work in your favour right now too. Speaking from my own experience, I have gone through five or six farriers in as many years due to reliability issues. Current guy is reliable but expensive and rushes a little.

If you are reliable, take time to do a good job and can communicate you will do well id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I would echo the above advice. Reliability, good customer skills and communication and taking the time to do a good job are key. if you can become known for those qualities I would think that clients will stick with you. So often you heard of people having trouble getting a farrier to confirm when they will be there which can be incredibly frustrating especially when owners are busy and working themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

A lot of yards will have been using the same farrier for years, so it's just a case of getting your name out there to ensure you're thought of for the next time someone needs their horse shod. There is definitely a call for a good, reliable farrier who knows his stuff, so just make sure you get your name out there so you're contacted.

You could be looking at about €60 for a basic full set, up to €70+ for stud holes and road pins. Each farrier varies but people will pay a fair price for good quality work.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Raised Eyebrow

There is always a demand for a good reliable farrier but there is also good reliable farriers here who have built up their business. I've been using the same one for several years and wouldn't change and unfortunately for you many people will be the same and it will be difficult for you to get contacts and build up your reputation. For services like that advertising wouldn't work as it is all word of mouth. Get involved in riding clubs, local hunt etc and maybe offer some voluntary hours to a rescue centre. If you could get a foothold in an area and build up a customer base it could be very successful. Good luck.

Advertisement